New Doofus on Campus

Hello ma'ams and sirs

I'm Shawn, and I'm renting a house with a 12x24 4ft deep pool. When I moved in, the water was crystal clear and perfect (november 2011). I let it go and just added chlorine a little bit over the winter. I had no experience and knew nothing of pool chemistry. All of a sudden, when the temps came back up in the spring, the water turned into what looked like Dr. Pepper... :lol:

So i went to google and the pool store...they gave me swell advice and I got the water blue again, and cloudy. Never got that crystal clear look for the rest of the summer. I had the pool open for about 3 weeks. Other than that it was green, cloudy, or worse. I couldn't see the bottom of the pool for almost the whole year. So i gave up in August and threw chlorine in there occasionally and tried to keep the pH in check. Over the winter, the pool cleared itself up and i was eager for the warm weather so i could jump in there. Then the 70 degree days came and the pool went cloudy, then green... :rant:

Anyway, this year i was planning on trying a bit harder... luckily, when i went to buy the $70 tub of chlorine tablets at walmart, some guy stopped me and said "Woah man, you don't have to buy that stuff!" I put the tub back on the shelf immediately cuz i didnt want to buy it anyway...then asked "what do you mean?" The guy says, "Use the BBB method from troublefreepool.com! Its easy and cheap. You don't need the pool store, or any of these chemicals for the most part!" The guy looked in his thirtys, was close to 6ft tall, was wearing a black button up with a cook's hat...i think. Dunno if he's on this board but this was in Aberdeen, NC right next to Pinehurst.

Long story short, I looked up this site on my phone while i was standing in the pool isle of walmart...then as i was browsing the site i walked over to the laundry section and picked up some great value 8% bleach, 20muleteam, and baking soda. I also bought the 10 pack of dichlor shock stuff. Anyway, that was Monday, 5/13. Today...actually yesterday...i have the crystal clear beautiful water I had when i first moved in!!!

All i had to do was adjust the pH and alkalinity, shock, backwash, scrub, backwash, scrub, backwash, scrub, shock, backwash, scrub, adjust pH, vacuum, shock, backwash, scrub, vacuum....etc... It only took a total of about 4 hrs of work over the course of a week and i went from green cloudy ugliness to the clearest prettiest water i could hope for!!

0521131735a.jpg

pH 7.5
FC 5-6
CC 0
TA 100
CYA ~50

Thanks for making this site so easy to navigate, and easy to find information!!! I love you guys :whoot:

You know you're lucky, most the people who try to tell this story have to include a sad part. The part where their CYA level is around 150. You know the only part that could help this story out......pictures. We like pretty pictures.

AcceleraShawn said:
some guy stopped me and said "Woah man, you don't have to buy that stuff!" I put the tub back on the shelf immediately cuz i didnt want to buy it anyway...then asked "what do you mean?" The guy says, "Use the BBB method from troublefreepool.com! Its easy and cheap. You don't need the pool store, or any of these chemicals for the most part!"

:nopic:

What a great story!

:lovetfp:

Thanks for the welcomes
So far there is no sad part...cept that it has been raining ever since i got it right...so i have to keep compensating for the rainwater.

I'll take some pictures when I get off work... The only thing not pretty about the pool is the stained upper part of the liner (which has also melted a bit). It was ugly when I moved in though so I didn't do it (although I know i didn't do it any favors...) :shark:

I'm also going to spread the word to everyone i know with a pool. :fro:

Hi Shawn,

Welcome to TFP! I saw a guy two weeks ago buying a huge pail of Alkalinity Up at SAMs club in Slidell, La. I already had three large bags of A&H baking soda in my cart. We both had a few bags of salt. I asked the guy if he knew what Alkalinity Up was and he said to raise his alkalinity. I told him it was the same thing as baking soda and told him he could cut his cost in half. I also told him about this site. He immediately removed his pail of Alkalinity Up and he said he would try it. I even showed him the picture of a swimming pool on the front of the A&H baking soda bag. Imagine my dismay when I saw him checking out with his big pail again. I hope he tries this site and learns something. I am forever grateful for what these guys have taught me on this board. I offer a big 'Thank You' to Chem Geek, Linen, FPM, Duraleigh, Harleysilo, 257 mag, and the all the people here who make this the best site for pool care! Thank you guys and gals for making this site an oasis in what could be a pool of misery.

Kindest Regards,

Dave Hurley

Thank you guys and gals for making this site an oasis in what could be a pool of misery.
Indeed, Thanks! :cheers:

I've already told 4-5 people about it...also, a few friends were over at the house on the 13th and 14th...and thats when my pool looked like muddy swamp water with live bugs and debris floating in it. I posted up pictures of the sparkly clean blue pool yesterday and the same friends were blown away that it looked that good that quickly. :party:

I'm excited to take my water to the pool store and have them tell me how much random stuff i need to put in there to get rid of the clear blue awesomness...haha.

Anyone know where to buy a CYA reagent refill? My K2006 kit comes with enough to test it maybe 3 or 4 times...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support