Pump run time, daytime vs nighttime

Sep 11, 2012
Mid-Michigan
Just picked up a dusk to dawn timer for my AGP for when I'm on vacation (normally control power via breaker box in garage). Just occured to me that it will be running for 8hrs during the NIGHT, not the day, while I'm gone...is this a significant issue? :roll:

From a filtering standpoint, it makes no difference. Some electric utilities offer lower rates at off-peak times. If yours does, then you may save some electricity $ by running it during those times.

BTW, you very likely do not need to run the filter that long (8 hours). Most people, including myself before I found TFP, run the filter much longer than needed. The Determine Pump Run Time article was recently revised. It's worth taking another look at. I have cut way back on my filter run time and the water is still crystal clear. Proper chlorination and balancing play a leading role in water clarity.

BoDarville said:
From a filtering standpoint, it makes no difference. Some electric utilities offer lower rates at off-peak times. If yours does, then you may save some electricity $ by running it during those times.

BTW, you very likely do not need to run the filter that long (8 hours). Most people, including myself before I found TFP, run the filter much longer than needed. The Determine Pump Run Time article was recently revised. It's worth taking another look at. I have cut way back on my filter run time and the water is still crystal clear. Proper chlorination and balancing play a leading role in water clarity.

Bo, thanks for the quick response! Pretty sure our utilities up here in mid-Michigan do have on and off peak pricing, so that would make hubby happy if the electric bill lower. :wink: And I will definitely check out that article...I know I'm overdoing it with my pump run time, obsession with keeping that pool sparkly clean I guess. :-D

Personally I like to recommend some run time during the heat of the day, at least a couple hours. I also think it helps to run the pump when swimmers are in so that the filter catches any gook that gets stirred up by swimmers....

frustratedpoolmom said:
Well kool then you are good to go! :)

:goodjob: I first bought a really nice Brinks digital timer...that was too big for our enclosed outlet box AND didn't have a 3-prong outlet. Loved it because I could have set it for specific times. :lol: Told hubs he needs to get on hard-wiring a timer box to the breaker for me. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.