Need New Pump?

Jul 12, 2010
Went to start up my pool for the season and my pump was just making a faint humming sounds. After a few seconds of that, the breaker went off in the house.
I have been wanting to get a new pump, so maybe this is my chance!
I have a Hayward Super Pump 1 HP 115V/230V. I have a Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount 24" sand filter.
I have always believed that the 1HP Super Pump was too much for my pool/filter. I don't get the greatest filtering unless I had a fiber type filter aid on top of the sand.
What type of pump could I replace this with? I would love to get something more energy efficient with lower flow rates to help the sand catch more of the fine particles/save energy.

Is your current pump wired for 115V or 230V?
What is the specific model of the motor ... HP and service factor (SF)?

Based on that answer, we can recommend a 2-speed motor to replace your existing motor (assuming the wet end is still fine).
Or a 3/4-1HP 2 speed pump.

You will get better filtration and save $ running on low speed most of the time and just using high speed for backwashing the filter and running the suction cleaner for a few hours a day. Of course this means you will likely have to add a timer to control the speed since you have a suction cleaner.

Not sure what my current pump is wired for. It is not a plug in type, but is hardwired.
How can I tell? I have a volt meter, I guess I could check that out.

1 HP

SF 1.1

model/serial number C48K2N143B1
I am not really looking to replace the motor. I would rather just get a new pump.

Thanks again for the help!

Well I know the Pentair Superflo 3/4HP (1.67 SF) 2-speed is 115V {SF-N2-3/4A} and comes with unions for the plumbing and a built in switch to select the speed. That is actually a little larger than the pump you currently have (1.1 SFHP vs. this one @ 1.25 SFHP).

Or you can likely find just a motor if you want to keep the wet end of you pump.

The Superflo 3/4 URHP is one of those pumps that you can't judge by the motor. It is actually smaller pump than the Superpump 1 URHP. The motor is larger but not the wet end.

Ah, thanks Mark ... are all the Superflo wet ends smaller than the SuperPump? Or is the 3/4 different than the 1+ Superflos?

Although I still see no reason why this pump would not work in this case as no need for high flow rate is specified. Unless there is a SuperPump that is comparable. There would certainly be no reason to step up to the Whisperflo 3/4HP though.

I guess it depends if only a motor is desired or a whole new pump.

Sometimes, manufactures cannot find a motor small enough for the wet end so they use something that is close enough and just under load the motor. This is the case with the 1/2 HP Whisperflo, Northstar and Tristar. They all use motors larger than they need to but in this case, the service factor is closer to 2.

As for the Superflo Superpump comparison, for the same label HP their operating points are pretty close but the Superpumps are slightly lower and thus the efficiency is slightly higher than the Superflo. Not much though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I forgot that we have previously had problems locating the 3/4HP 2-speed. And that price you found is a little high (and Mark's is even higher)

Well, with the single speed you give up the power savings of being able to run on low when not needing to backwash or run the cleaner. What is the service factor on that 3/4HP Super Pump? It may be weaker than what you currently have.

Depends if you want a pump tomorrow, want to save $ on a cheaper pump now, or save $ on electricity for the life of the pump.

The service factor on the Hayward Super Pump 0.75 HP is 1.0.
I am really in to saving money on electricity over the life of the pump. I like to run my pump 24/7.
I know that I will save money with the Hayward SP 0.75 HP over the 1 HP Hayward. If I can't find a way to get the Pentair 2 speed, I would be fine with getting the Hayward 0.75 HP. I just want to make sure it will work for my setup.

jordangregory said:
The service factor on the Hayward Super Pump 0.75 HP is 1.0.
I am really in to saving money on electricity over the life of the pump. I like to run my pump 24/7.
I know that I will save money with the Hayward SP 0.75 HP over the 1 HP Hayward. If I can't find a way to get the Pentair 2 speed, I would be fine with getting the Hayward 0.75 HP. I just want to make sure it will work for my setup.
Running 24/7 is not really required and you can save a lot of money by just adjusting your run time. Most pools only need about 3-4 hours per day on full speed and a little more on low speed.

Here is some info about finding a 2-speed ... although at the end they realize theirs is actually 230V:
century-b973-as-new-motor-for-hayward-superpump-t33967.html

You have to see if your stand it adjustable to the larger diameter motor.

That Whisperflo is a larger pump than you currently have that will cost more upfront and move more water and thus use more electricity. But you would still save by running on low speed. Also realize that the WFDS-24 is the exact same pump, so search for both as one may be cheaper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.