Shock or maintain this FC?

May 1, 2012
Louisville, KY
Hey, everyone. Thanks for everyone's help last year. We just took off the cover yesterday, and for a few glorious seconds the water looked crystal clear. Then the cover, which we hadn't cleared of leaves like we should have, got a little out of hand. We managed to pull the cover off, but that means some leaves got in, along with a couple puddles of ick.

I need some advice on where to go with these first readings of the year:

FC=5
CC=.5
Ph=7.2
TA=60
CYA=55
CH=110
Borates+50

Should I take up the FC to shock or near shock just to deal with leaves and dissolved leaves? We are building a deck in about a week and a half, but until now we just have to reach in and stir up & grab leaves best we can. We'll be able to get to things from on high when the deck is done. The sides feel great, no slime at all until we added it yesterday.... :cry:

I think the Ph is going to go up soon enough -- or should I raise it up? Usually, keeping it low enough is my problem.

Thanks!
Mary Ann

Don't worry about the PH. It will go up, though probably only slowly.

Unless the FC level falls rapidly, I would just elevate FC above normal, but not do a full shock. Do get FC up to at least 10 for a day or two and keep an eye on it to see if it falls rapidly, and that should be enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.