Fired the Pool Service Company

plumin

May 19, 2008
SE Texas
I was at home on Monday when the pool man showed up. I asked him to leave the SWG alone. (I have it turned off because my FC has been around 22). He wanted to know why so I told him and he proceeded to test the chlorine. He filled a test cylinder with pool water and put in something pink - I thought to test for Chlorine the water would be yellow -and he told me my chlorine level was just right at 1.5. I have no idea what he was talking about but I mentioned again to him about my FC being so high and he then told me he didn't have any idea what FC was "but my chlorine level was perfect".

Anyway, he's gone.

This is where I was 10 days ago:

FC 22
pH 7.2
T/A 80
CH 410
CYA 40 (was down to 30 within few days)

Here are my new test numbers as of today.

FC 6
pH 7.5
T/A 60
CH did not test
CYA 70

I put in stablizier last Friday and added acid on Monday, other than that all I've done is leave the SWG off.

Oh, and I added about 8oz of baking soda (all I had) because I thought my T/A was dropping too low.

It rained A LOT here last night, I've read that this effects the water but how?

Good for you for firing the pool company! I haven't a clue what he was testing for if it was pink- other than the stuff we use to test the TA

Everything looks pretty good, but the TA you want to bring up a tad to about 80-110ppm. To low of a TA then you risk corrison, to high and you get that cloudy water.

If your TA is at the proper level, then your pH is less likely to bounce all over the place as well.

And likewise, If you have acid rain or a lot of rain in general that is usually what will affect your TA the most, which in turn affects your pH. So it's better to have mild flucuations by testing at least CL and pH daily than having something sneak up on you.

The OTO chlorine test uses varying shades of yellow to brown to indicate the level of chlorine, and the DPD Colorimetic test uses varying shades of pink to indicate the level of chlorine.

Here's a link that describes OTO, DPD, and FAS-DPD tests pretty well. linky

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.