Reason for location of SWG?

Apr 5, 2009
Hi,

When we had our pool solar installed a few years ago, they installed it after the existing filter and SWG, like this...

Pump-Filter-SWG-Solar-Pool

I've since learned that the SWG should be after the filter and the solar.

I may replace my SWG soon and putting it anywhere other than were it is now will be a challenge because of how tight all of the piping is. I'm curious why the SWG should be the last item. Does it decrease the life of the cell or make it less efficient if placed before the solar?

Thanks.

Usually it is last for a few reasons ... get the high FC water mixed into the bulk of the water, but the main reason is that you can get a build-up of explosive hydrogen gas if there are places for it to get trapped ... like in the solar panels.

I would try to change it ... post up pictures if you want suggestions.

Thanks for the information! Here is a pic of my setup. The SWG is below the incoming filter line. After the SWG is the automatic valve that diverts the water to the solar panels and the pool return lines are on the left.

Attachments

• IMG_2573.jpg
    IMG_2573.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 219
I'm not positive, but the SWCG is after the filter, but before the solar. It's in the correct position if solar was added later. Isn't there a valve up in the solar panels that bleeds off air, it would bleed of any hydrogen gas also.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Poolsean, was the SWG before or after the filter on the one you mention?

bobodaclown, I think I found the valve you mentioned. I've attached a couple of pics.

The bottom line is that if the SWG location is dangerous, I'll figure out a way to move it, but if it is safe, I'd rather not have to do it. (It has been there almost 5 years before I started researching replacing the SWG and found all the instructions about it being last in the path.)

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2735.jpg
    IMG_2735.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2736.jpg
    IMG_2736.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 65

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.