Still CLEAR GREEN water after shocking for days.

Aug 14, 2011
I learned about the BBB method last year and it worked fabulously for me until now. I just don't get why my water is still a clear green color after shocking for days. It looks like a pool full of Mountain Dew! I thought it should have turned cloudy by now. Here are my numbers:
CYA-30
PH-7.5
FC- anywhere from 8-12 for the last 4 days, 14 lastnight, 11 this morning, 22 just now
CC-1
SALT-2620
TEMP-72
After uncovering the pool last week it was vacuumed out and there is no debri left in. I've run the pump about 12 hours per day and backwashed several times already. I have a solar cover on it now to keep clorine levels up which hasn't been a problem since it is also in the shade for a good part of the day. Last night I decided it might be mustard algae so that's why the increase in clorine. There are no clumps of algae in the pool and I have brushed it down but it makes no difference. It looks as if the color is in the water, not on the liner.
I have a 24' above ground Intex with Krystal Clear filter 2650 GPH. Sheryl

Taken today. The water source is a well. I'm using the same water as last year though and it remained crystal clear all summer long.[attachment=0:1vmogcnu]pool2013.JPG[/attachment:1vmogcnu]

Attachments

• pool2013.JPG
    pool2013.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 417
That certainly looks like metal. It may just be more obvious due to the higher FC levels ... did you ever go through the shock process last year?

Once the FC drops down the water may clear up, although you should likely start using sequestrants (maybe there was some in the pool before and it is gone and needs to be replenished).

Last year was the first year for the pool and I started off using the BBB method so I've added nothing but some CYA, bleach, and something to raise the PH. What are sequestrants? Have any idea which metal I may be dealing with? Think its ok to start letting the FC drop? Sorry for all the questions.
I'm using the Intex Krystal Clear 2650GPH sand filter with saltwater system.

I wonder if hickory nuts could have changed the pool chemistry. I kept most of them out last fall but about 15 or so were in there all winter. I'll keep the chlorine up till I meet #'s 1 & 2 and get a sequestrant asap. Thanks for all the help! S.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've seen a few pics on this forum with metal in water and they can range in color. I saw one pool that looked orange and the water was crystal clear like yours just orange! It looked pretty cool but we don't want orange or green water. It's defiantely metals though and super easy to take care of.

My dad has a well but he just had water trucked in to top his pool off this year. His has never turned but I think during the summer he throws the hose to it when it gets low. You got lucky last year and since you opened, you shocked it and wahlaaaa! Mt DEW! :mrgreen:

Just in case someone with the same problem as mine comes along you may want to know that adding the sequestrant cleared up the problem in about 3 days of running the pump often and backwashing the darkest water ever! It is now sparkling clear. As a side note, I went with a friend of mine to have the water tested for metals. I bought the sequestrant despite their recommendation that I get an algecide. After seeing the people on this site can be trusted, my friend is now using the BBB method to clear her swampy pool. She never got it completely clear last year so I'm excited to be able to help her that way this year. THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND MOSTLY FOR BEING THERE WHEN WE NEED YOU!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.