New Liner, New Water....what to do now?

May 20, 2013
Hi everyone! I am excited to try the BBB method after a few years of baquicil my wallet and I have had enough!! We are having to put in a new liner this year and will have water delivered. I have a 24 ft above ground, 13,500 gallons. What will I need to do next?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!

1. Read Pool School
2. Order one of the recommended test kits
3. Post test results when the pool is full we can help guide you with what needs to be adjusted.

jblizzle said:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!

1. Read Pool School
2. Order one of the recommended test kits
3. Post test results when the pool is full we can help guide you with what needs to be adjusted.
I'd reverse 1 &2 myself.

And test the fill water, so you'll have an idea of what you'll be needing. It will give you time to shop for bargains and ask for feedback on questionable things.

Everyone has an opinion about that. I personally pour it right next to the return eye. That dissolves it quickly and disperses it throughout the pool. Some people like to walk around the pool and "throw" it around to scatter it evenly around. Either method works. I don't nor do I recommend adding any chemicals via the skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I assume your CYA is 40 (if your 4.5 pounds of stabilizer is dissolved, then that is what it'll be). I'd dose to 7 (I have no clue how much sunlight your pool gets into the day, you'll have to test tomorrow evening again to see how much FC you lost during the day, that'll help you determine how much to dose in the future).

You can add the 2 back to back, but there is no reason to. 5.5 FC is fine for now, so I'd personally add the Borax, wait a little bit, then add your nightly chlorine dose.

Didn't test last night but did add bleach. Had a late night at a theme park was exhausted when I came in around 1am. Tested tonight:

CL 2-4
PH 7.2
FC 2.5

Adding bleach and borax according to the pool calculator. Pool is crystal clear. What else should I be doing?

I haven't done the full set of tests yet, was waiting a couple more days before checking cya. Last night my ph was the same as the prev night even though I added the borax according to the calculator. My FC was 3 last night so I added more bleach, I had the goal set to 7 on the calculator. Is it unusual for it to not be higher than that. I added a gallon last night, a little over a gallon the night before. Pool is crystal clear, water is getting warmer, kids weren't quite as blue swimming yesterday. :lol:

From what i read on here people loose 2-3 PPM of Chlorine to the sunlight each day. I see you lost 4, not sure if that is an issue, could be within the accuracy of the test.

If your PH tested at 6.8 and you added Borax to raise it, but didn't hit the target, your PH was really less than 6.8, so you'll need to do it again. The test shows PH <6.8 as 6.8. I've had to do this but in the opposite direction, trying to get my PH down with MA.

As of last night my fc was 3, cl 3 and ph was 7.5. CYA was 40. The calculator is showing almost a gallon a day to replenish and get to 7fc. Does that sound about right? Pool looks great, just don't want to over do it if it's not needed.

---I think I may have found my issue...we have no shade and the sun is on the pool everyday until about 6pm I think. I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks and using chlorine tabs in a floating chlorinator while gone, wonder if that will raise the cya enough in a weeks time of if I should raise it more before then. I don't want it to get too high and have to drain though, that scares me.

Use the bottom of poolcalculator to tell you how much CYA each 7-8oz puck of trichlor will add.

What strength of bleach are you using? To get a 4ppm rise, you would need 81 oz of 8.25% or 112 oz of 6%

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.