Vaccumming clouds pool with dirt being vaccummed

phess

Aug 19, 2007
My pool water is very clear but I have a lot of dirt on the bottom of the pool that I don't seem to be able to vac out of the pool. When I vac it, the dirt disappears but I can see the return jets bringing non-clear water back into the pool. When I have finished, my clear water has turned cloudy and will stay that way for about a day. It seems as if the dirt is being recycled back into the pool and then settles back down to the bottom again and the sand filter is not trapping the dirt. This is the 3rd season for this Hayward filter. I had the same problem last year. I tried new sand at the beginning of last seaon but that did not help. I also added a SWG last season along with a new liner, and new city water. I get a tremendous amount of scale build up on the SWG cell. I have tried sweeping the pool on waste but still can't get rid of all of the dirt. Seems like a filter problem, but all I can think of is new sand again. Any suggestions?

Is there any possibility that the lever on the filter has slipped to 'recirculate' rather than be set on 'filter' or 'waste' when you vacuum? That would blow dirt back into the pool.

Another cause could be a leaky gasket in the filter which lets sand out through the return. I'm afraid I can't remember whether this is called the 'spider valve' or the 'lateral' or something else entirely. We had to replace ours last year because we were getting sand and dirt back in the pool.

Can't help with the scale buildup, I don't know anything about SWGs.

AnnaK

I've had a very similar problem since our pool was installed 2 years ago and thru experience have found that the debris I am dealing with (not sure if it is dead algae, pollen, or some other sediment) will not filter out thru my sand filter. To eliminate it completely I used to have to vacuum to waste very carefully b/c any movement would cause the debris to lift off the bottom and cloud the water. The stuff I have is very light and very fine. I've since rigged up a venturi vacuum with a bag called a Slimebag that will capture these particles without draining water out of the pool to waste.

JasonLion,
Here are the water test results from today ref the SWG scale problem.
CYA 29
Tot Chlorine 2.2
Free Chlorine 2.2
PH 8.4
Tot Alkalinity 178
Tot Hardness 286
Minerals 2800
Borates 9

THX...Paul

Phess,

I also replied to your PM but thought I'd put the info here in case anyone was interested.

I purchased the venturi vacuum attachment at Home Depot a couple years ago but I am unable to find the same one online to direct you to it. I did however find this one that is somewhat similar

http://www.poolshop.com.au/category78_1.htm

I just spoke with the Slimebag representative today because I am considering purchasing a Slimebag to install on my return line. I have to vacuum this stuff up almost every day throughout the summer and with my contraption it is somewhat tedious. While speaking with him, he said that he believed the debris I described may be dead algae that is being broken up into even smaller particles while passing thru the the filter due to the brittleness (is that a word? LOL) of the dead organisms. I've never heard anything similar mentioned anywhere, even on this site so can't vouch for the accuracy, but thought it rather plausible just the same esp. since I have an oversized pump that I believe is causing a lot of my filtering problems (I'm researching smaller ones even as I type).

If you need any more info re:the venturi vacuum attachment, please don't hesitate to ask.

Sandy

Have you tried reserving vacuuming until your filter is on the verge of needing a backwash?

Needing backwash means a dirty filter, and a dirty sand filter filters better than a clean one. It might catch this stuff before it makes it back out to the pool.

-Chris

phess said:
JasonLion,
Here are the water test results from today ref the SWG scale problem.
CYA 29
Tot Chlorine 2.2
Free Chlorine 2.2
PH 8.4
Tot Alkalinity 178
Tot Hardness 286
Minerals 2800
Borates 9

THX...Paul

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

Your CYA is too low for a SWG and your ALK is too high.

Here is “Water Balance Tips for a SWG” by Waterbear: http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=3663

Hope this helps

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.