Hi. I've made the switch from Bacquacil to chlorine (using BBB method) last fall before closing our pool for the season therefore am somewhat of a newbie to chlorine pool chemistry. What knowledge I've gained is thru extensive reading of poolsolutions.com threads.
Today I had to shock the pool to reduce the CC from .8 and my questions are:
1) When is the optimum time to shock in order to reduce pool shutdown (kids were heart broken....today was 90 degrees!)
2) At what minimum and maximum levels of FC and CC safe for swimming while adjusting to optimal values, especially when shocking the pool is necessary. For example, I've read in poolsolutions.com that if water > .5 CC a shock treatment is recommended but if the value is still low enough to swim in, I'd prefer wait to add bleach and shock treat later in the evening while the pool is not in use. EDITED TO ADD: Or, if shocking is absolutely necessary, at what level FC can the kids jump in the pool after shocking.