Refilling due to CYA?

Thanks guys, the water is a little cloudy, I can see the bottom @ 8' but since I had a high CYA my plan was to take another 1/3 out and then re- test. Skipping the test after the first 1/3.

I would like to get the cya as close to 50 as I can and I just don't think removing 1/3 will do it.

Do you think this is a good plan? I'm trying to conserve my r0013reagent.

samt said:
Thanks guys, the water is a little cloudy, I can see the bottom @ 8' but since I had a high CYA my plan was to take another 1/3 out and then re- test. Skipping the test after the first 1/3.

I would like to get the cya as close to 50 as I can and I just don't think removing 1/3 will do it.

Do you think this is a good plan? I'm trying to conserve my r0013reagent.

Hmmm...120 * 2/3 = 80

80 * 2/3 = 53.33

I'd call it close enough. That CYA test isn't all that accurate and easy to use.

Ok, just completed removing another 1/3 and started refilling. I did do another cya test this am to see where I was at and recorded 80 on the cya. As expected. Nope not good enough. So I did a little less than a 1/3 the second time.

What ever I end up with this time I will live with, and count on back washing to lower even more. Even though that will be not much most likely .

My next move will be the PH.

I'd like to chime in here if I may. You say CYA test is not Accurate. Every time I test with my Taylor 2005 kit, it comes out as 60.
I go to a store like Ace or Leslie & they come up with over 100. Is there no sure Test for CYA. Very frustrating to say the least.
So I know I'm suppose to believe my test instead of the stores.
I've done test many times. Putting it to my waist, back towards the sun.
When Black Dot disappears & I read the vial it's at 60.

dino1956 said:
I'd like to chime in here if I may. You say CYA test is not Accurate. Every time I test with my Taylor 2005 kit, it comes out as 60.
I go to a store like Ace or Leslie & they come up with over 100. Is there no sure Test for CYA. Very frustrating to say the least.
So I know I'm suppose to believe my test instead of the stores.
I've done test many times. Putting it to my waist, back towards the sun.
When Black Dot disappears & I read the vial it's at 60.
There is a way to tell.

See what reagents you might need to refill, in order to minimize shipping charges, and add them to your order of this. It is a known 50PPM CYA standard. Do the test and see if you get 50. If not, experiment with light, background, distance, whatever it takes to read 50 consistently. Then you know how to do it.

The precision of the test, when done correctly, is around plus or minus 15 for levels up to 90 and plus or minus 30 for levels between 100 and 200.

--http://www.troublefreepool.com/extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

Yea, I bet the cya is just a ballpark number, when you think about true volume of your pool vs volume calculators how close is that ? I going to section out my pool this summer and find out.

Also any test that has directions that say - Back to sun , waist high and look for a black dot to disappear that alone has to say its a ball park test.

So I guess since my test from my kit always comes out to 60, I am truly at 60. I was told by everyone on here to not go by store tests. So the store tests that are over 100 have to be wrong, correct? And as far as doing the test correctly, there is really not that much to it. Although I would think there is a discrepancy with people's vision with seeing the dot or not seeing the dot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.