First pool, need help!

May 20, 2013
We are considering getting an above ground pool this Summer. From quick reading, I figured out that Ultra frame Intex is the better Intex option. Any other affordable pools out there? Also, we have a 9 & 10 year old, are the sides solid enough for them to wrestle in the pool and hit the sides without them collapsing? (There's no way around it, they will wrestle!). Can they stay up through the Winter? We live in Northern MD, seems as it would be expensive to fill every year and more risks to damage the liner.

Next, once we have decided on a pool, what do we need besides the obvious pool/line/pump/ladder? Trying to figure the total cost and work implied. I am just a bit overwhelmed with the process that I am thinking about pushing the project one more year, but I know I want it for this Summer. Would rather do the SWG, but from some reading, seems that the Intex tends to rust with this system, is it just Intex or any above ground pool? We have a pool store going out of business nearby, so I'm also considering a real above ground pool that doesn't require take down at the end of season, but I'm not sure what the difference is with the Intex and cost difference as well, is the prep the same for both types of pools?

Welcome to tfp, eleanorj :wave:

eleanorj said:
Can they stay up through the Winter? We live in Northern MD, seems as it would be expensive to fill every year and more risks to damage the liner.
Many people around here (minnesota) leave their intexs up year round.

eleanorj said:
We have a pool store going out of business nearby, so I'm also considering a real above ground pool that doesn't require take down at the end of season, but I'm not sure what the difference is with the Intex and cost difference as well, is the prep the same for both types of pools?
I like permanent agps verses intex, but I also know I like maintaining the pool. Permanent agp's are more robust and in my case, it allowed me to dig a deep end. If this was my first pool, I would probably go with an intex (and I did although a small one) to "test" my interest. As for site prep, generally you want to have the site level within 1/2 inch regardless of pool type. This means digging down to the low point, not adding fill.

eleanorj said:
Also, we have a 9 & 10 year old, are the sides solid enough for them to wrestle in the pool and hit the sides without them collapsing? (There's no way around it, they will wrestle!).
Intex pools are fairly robust, but I wouldn't let them body slam each other on the top poles :)

Linen's suggestion to try out the Intex first is a great one. The Intex Ultra Frame is an excellent 'starter pool' and really lets you get used to the process, the time investment, and the enjoyment. We're in Ohio and took our pool down the last two seasons, but we're moving to a perm AGP this year. I know what to expect, I know how I want it set up and where the pump and filter need to be located, etc. because of my experience with the Intex.

Intex is kind of like the gateway drug of pools; 'just a taste and you'll be back for more.' :lol:

I just bought my first pool. I decided to go with the 21' kamika II round swimming pool. I set it up 2 weeks ago and it is very sturdy. My kids are young also and with a 45 year warranty on the frame I figured it will last as long as I want it. For 2,000 dollars it came with everything I needed. I would suggest buying a beaded liner. It is easy to put the liner in the pool with this system. I like the liner patterns also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.