New agp on long island

Rob711

May 6, 2013
Hey all, I had a 12x24 pool insatalled about a month ago, I was a pool mechanic for about ten years, about ten years ago. I stopped right about when salt water pools were becoming popular. I always hated above grounds for there cheesy fittings, and baby filters, so now I own one! I finished the framing for the deck one side, relatively small, 12x10, enough for a small table and some beers!
It came with a no name salt water chlorinator, looks like a copy the Hayward, seems relatively easy to plumb, does it matter if the flow switch is before or after the cell? Instructions say after, but I could make it look nicer if it was before. This salt stuff is new to me so I'm sure I will be doing a lot of reading here. Might put the chemistry part in wife's hands..plus I'm color blind, or do I buy one of the pricey digital test kits, I guess some sorta salt tester would be needed as well. Thanks for all the future help.
Rob

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Most flow switches just need about 12" of straight pipe before the switch and the cell can count as the straight section {this is true of the Hayward system}

If you use one the recommended test kits, the only test that required color matching is the pH test. All other require you to count drops until the color changes (pink to clear, green to red, pink to blue), so that may still work for you. We do not care for the digital testers too much as there is no way to know if it is calibrated correctly and they seem to not do well with some of the tests.