Advice/Technical Help on getting started with a new pool

Dani

May 20, 2013
Long Island, New York
Hello everyone!

I have been reading your boards for quite some time and finally joined due to buying a new pool. Previously had a 15 x 15 AG.

I am installing a Doughboy 15 x 24 Oval (9, 648 gallon) pool which is being sunk into the ground about 16" after sand is added....so it's an inny and an outty lol! We are doing this because we don't want to add a deck for privacy issues in my neighborhood and instead want to build a patio out of pavers with a small deck for the pool ladder.

I have pretty much decided on roof mounted solar panels. In doing research I have found solar companies are pretty much saying I need 1 panel for my size pool: example Fafco/Solar Bear system 1 4x20 panel. My pool is about 70 feet from the house/roof, which means I will probably need extra piping for the panels? Additionally, they all say they come with everything needed to install them? I have been reading where people are adding on Y valves, etc.

What I'd like to know specifically is:

Is one panel enough for my size pool? What brand/manufacturer would members recommend? Is there anything I need to order with the panels so I have everything needed in place?

Would members recommend a solar blanket saddle or a reel? A solar blanket reel seems to take up space.

Also, being a new construct, any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated! I'm sure there are things I haven't considered with a new pool or don't even know about...

Much much appreciated!
Dani

Welcome to TFP.

1 panel won't be enough. You need at least two and more would be better. given your location I'd match panel area 100% of the surface area of the pool.

As for the reel/saddle debate. I currently have a reel and it does get to be a chore to move on and off the pool so I'm considering trying the saddles to see how they work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.