Best Stainless Steel Polisher

aeromorris05

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 16, 2011
Murfreesboro, TN
Title pretty much says it all. What's the preferred cleaner for polishing stainless handrails & ladders? We had our pool built last year and after opening this spring there are some rust colored stains along the water line and what appear to be white colored water or salt spots above the waterline. The stains are still smooth so I'm pretty sure they're superficial and removable with a bit of elbow grease.
Thanks in advance.

aeromorris05,

"Bar Keepers Friend" the powder version, not the liquid is the only one that I know of that will not scratch, it is the only cleaner recommended for use on the premium All-Clad Cookware. But you will need to drain down a little to expose dry tiles, and it takes a lot of rubbing, more so than "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser".

Some people say "Bon Ami" does not scratch, but we never used it.

"Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" will work well but it will leave microscopic scratches.

If you have a hard time finding "Bar Keepers Friend" Williams-Sonoma carries it, albeit a little higher in price than other places.

Use to be in a business where this mattered.

Blasting with "Baking Soda" at low pressure will also work and will not scratch, but you need a "Baking Soda" blasting machine, or hire someone who has one. Do not use glass beads, or sand, for blasting they will also leave very fine scratches.

Hope this helps.

Guess I'm gonna have to do some test spots just to be on the safe side. Had the weather been more cooperative last night I would've tried the Mr Clean Magic Eraser. My original thought was some sort of polish/buffing compound. There seemed to be two distinct types on Amazon; one set for polishing stainless appliances and another kind for more industrial uses like polishing chrome. I'm wondering if I can simply use polish designed for sterling silverware. I don't think it would leave scratches and surely it wouldn't leave swirl marks. :?:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.