niche to j-box question

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
In the red box are my wires from the light, they will get wire nuts on them and attach to the wires coming in from the panel where the red arrow is.

I also need to run a green insulated ground wire. I am assuming this hooks to the yellow. The bonding will then hook to the blue.

So, doe the ground from the niche terminate there or do I need to run that ground all the way back to the panel?

jbox.gif

You need to run a ground back to the electrical panel.

Both grounding and bonding wires connect to that bar, which is why there are so many connection points on the bar. Normally grounding and bonding are kept separate, but high voltage light junction boxes are one of the few exceptions.

For a high voltage light you also need a bonding wire in the conduit (or conductive metallic conduit) which also gets connected to that bar.

JasonLion said:
You need to run a ground back to the electrical panel.

Both grounding and bonding wires connect to that bar, which is why there are so many connection points on the bar. Normally grounding and bonding are kept separate, but high voltage light junction boxes are one of the few exceptions.

For a high voltage light you also need a bonding wire in the conduit (or conductive metallic conduit) which also gets connected to that bar.

My inspections department requires. (based on documents from their department)

1.Bonding wire from outside of niche to outside of jbox.
2. #8 insulated copper wire from inside niche, through pvc to the bus bar in the jbox.
3. #8 insulated copper wire inside of niche covered with potting material.

Thats the part I was unsure of, the #8 insulated wire from inside niche, through the pvc to the jbox, does that then go back to the panel?

You run a ground wire from the junction box to the electrical panel along with the power wires, just the way you would with any other electrical box. You do not run a bonding wire from the junction box to the electrical panel (though they end up being connected anyway). Even though both bonding and grounding are involved, and both are connected to that bar, they are separate systems with separate requirements.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.