Tired and in Tears... Chemical blocks and kids

May 27, 2008
Okay heres the deal. Have a 18x36 L with (ithink) 23,000 (really not sure) Open pool in spring they come out put stuff in it that makes it bubble anything on bottom to the top. Next day I vacumed to waste.Next morning I vacumed to waste what I didnt see and shocked. Was a cloudy blue like always after opening and it would never clear . took samples shocked again and again. Then they had me use the 5 gallon bucket of stuff that you had to disolve. didnt work.. So I drainded it down 2 1/2 feet. made it clear but didnt work. Now its cloudy again heres the numbers . Dont much care about anything but the tc and fc If someone could help me I would be so grateful..I would even send a gift cit. for dinner ,of there choice.Thank you Tiffani
..cya 91
ta 162
ph 7.4
tds 900 tc 2.9

fc 0

Also what does this all mean for our kids swimming and I also dont know about bleach and the other store baught things except baking soda..Ruined one liner dont want to ruin another

fc 0

Welcome to TFP!

Your CYA level is very high and that is make the chlorine less effective. You either need to lower the CYA level by replacing water, or use really large amounts of chlorine to clean up the pool.

Tiffani,

Welcome to TFP! Don't worry as you have come to the right place. The greatest minds in pool care are right here to help you (I'm not one of them but I try :-D) and it won't cost you a dime for their help. Ask away. No questions are wrong.

It does look like you need a good test kit of your own. This is important and it will save you TONS of money in the long run. Most folks suggest the TF-100 available here: www.tftestkits.com You can also get a Taylor K-2006. Order one now and once you get it, you can do your own testing and you will get accurate results beyond anything that a pool store can give you.

Hang in there!

Hi Tiff!

Welcome to TFP and don't fret. We will help you get your pool in shape.

Definately get that CYA down- either by draining the pool or like Jason said lots of chlorine.

And do get a very good test kit. That is one of the best investments you can make to help you along your way that way you know you are not 2nd guessing your water tests. If you want to as well. Learn the BBB method. I swear its the best!!

Hang in there. We'll get you cleared up in no time!!

tiffains4 said:
Okay heres the deal. Have a 18x36 L with (ithink) 23,000 (really not sure) Open pool in spring they come out put stuff in it that makes it bubble anything on bottom to the top. Next day I vacumed to waste.Next morning I vacumed to waste what I didnt see and shocked. Was a cloudy blue like always after opening and it would never clear . took samples shocked again and again. Then they had me use the 5 gallon bucket of stuff that you had to disolve. didnt work.. So I drainded it down 2 1/2 feet. made it clear but didnt work. Now its cloudy again heres the numbers . Dont much care about anything but the tc and fc If someone could help me I would be so grateful..I would even send a gift cit. for dinner ,of there choice.Thank you Tiffani
..cya 91
ta 162
ph 7.4
tds 900 tc 2.9

fc 0

Also what does this all mean for our kids swimming and I also dont know about bleach and the other store baught things except baking soda..Ruined one liner dont want to ruin another

Tiffani,

Welcome! Using bleach or baking soda or dry acid or Mule Team borax WILL NOT damage your liner. In the 3 years I've been using bleach, my liner is perfect. The problem is when you use WAY TOO much bleach. Or when you use way too much granular shock for that matter.

Kids can swim in a pool that is sanitized with chlorine bleach. Chlorine is chlorine......it just comes in different forms. Like the difference between name brand Tylenol and generic acetominophen. It's the same stuff, just different name.

You will need to get a good test kit of your own. It's the only way to get this right. Sure you can run back and forth to to the pool store and have them test it and push you into buying chemicals, but that's the really wrong way to go about it. You need to decide if you want a clean and clear pool or not. If so, then get a kit.

Next, get A LOT of bleach.....unscented regular ultra bleach. I usually bring home 10-15 jugs at a time. You'll need more for starters. The reason we recommend bleach is because it does not contain byproducts, like granular chlorine.....
dichlor has CYA added to stabilize the chlorine, you already have too much CYA
calcium hypochlorite will add calcium, which may not be a problem but can be if your hardness is too high
Pucks also have CYA added, again you already have too much

So, begin adding bleach and checking your FC level 2-3x/day. You can add the bleah slowly thru the skimmer. Watch out for backsplash. You will need to keep you FC up to 20-25 to reach "shock level" with your CYA. Keep the filter/pump running 24/7 through out this process and the pool will clear. If the FC yo-yo's up and down then that's when the pool won't clear.

So, get a test kit and start adding bleach. JasonLion has a bleach calculator in his signature. That way you can figure out what amout of bleach to add.

Good luck.

Hi Tiffani and welcome to the forum.

You have already received great info from members.

Having a good test kit and understanding your water chemistry are the keys. The best test kit I suggest is the TF Test kit sold by one of our members, duraleigh. Link in my sig.

Here are three stickies that will help you:

"ABC's of pool water......" by duraleigh: http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=4953

"BBB" or "What are all these chemicals?"...by Waterbear http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=94

and, "Turning your green swamp....." by JasonLion: http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=4147

Reducing your CYA level will help tremendously.

Please post all your pool and equipment information in your signature. This will help members give better advice.

We're glad you're here!

Thank you.... Thank you...

I cannot thank you enough. I am letting water out now. I cant seem to figure out Jasons calcutor , I out in at top left the gallons and it came up nothing then I put in size and gallon and nothing so what am I doing wrong. Okay so I am tiring to figure this all out. Do you put bleach in everyday? and what do you think about the salt system. Everyone I know spends no time on there pool and my one friend omly spent 68 dollars in chemicals last year.. Anyway if you have anymore direction for me I will gladly listen.. I cannot again tell you how grateful I am..

Oh before I forget my chlorine is like a 2.7 and ofcourse my free zero know matter what i do so what should they be together around 1.5...

To use the pool calculator, make sure the Units in the top right corner is "U.S."
Enter the size, in gallons, in the top left box

Then, if you want FC, enter the Now number, and the goal number, then click on the "Calculate" button on top.

For instance, for a 25,000 gallon pool, if you had a FC now of 0, goal of 20, it should come up with 1037 oz on 6% bleach.

If you are using 12% liquid clorine, then change the number in the % bleach box to 12.

Good luck
Randy

To use my Pool Calculator, enter the number of gallons in your pool at the top. Then enter a current test result in the Now column and the number you are trying to achieve in the Goal column. The text to the right will then tell you what chemicals to add to to get from where you are now to where you want to be.

For example, if I enter 23,000 for gallons and 0 for FC Now and 15 for FC Goal, it will tell me to add 715 oz of 6% bleach, about 5 1/2 gallons.

Okay I had figured out jason's calculator and got the scoop on the stickies. It finally explained alot..Only thing I dont have is the testing kit and cant get it right away.So in the mean time do I just go to the pool store for testing.ANd even though jasons thing tells all ,still learing about bbb , I am still unsure without a testing kit what to do first when pool fills..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you post a set of numbers from the pool store we can give suggestions about what to do first.

You need to add chlorine every evening. How much depends on your CYA level and your current FC level. CYA only really needs to be tested once, but you need some way of measuring chlorine, even if it is a simple OTO chlorine and PH test kit.

Hey guys now my pool pump only circulated for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Here the new numbers .I bought a lot of bleach but I am not putting anything in my pool until you say so..tds 500 . Thank you

cya 60
tc 1.3
fc 0
ph 7.3
ta 112

CYA at 60 is reasonable. For most pools having CYA between 30 and 50 is ideal, but 60 is fine. The CYA level will go down over time as long as you don't add anymore.

With CYA at 60, normal FC levels are between 5 and 9 and never lower than 5. Shock level is 18.

You want to bring the pool up to shock level. You want to hold it at shock level till the FC level remains the same overnight and CC has gone to 0.

JasonLion said:
You want to bring the pool up to shock level. You want to hold it at shock level till the FC level remains the same overnight and CC has gone to 0.

(Thread hijack in progress. This is not address specifically to the author of the thread but rather to anyone else having a similar problem that needs to clear their pool.)

This is where a lot of people get off track. This is not just a suggestion Jason has made. If you want to get control of your pool you MUST bring the FC up to shock level and keep doing so until it holds over night. Adding a little or doing it half way will not get the results you need and will only prolong the process. This requires effort on your part. We can not do this for you. However, if you make the extra effort, you will finally have control of your pool and will be in a position to keep it clean and clear with regular testing and minimal work.

End hijack. ;)

All right got it except when you say i have to do my part.. meaning what I have to add bleach 4 times a day or what.. I dont know how much to add and how many times to use it a day.and dont forget i havent goten a good test yet.. I do have a dropper though. And I have really shocked this pool so much that it should of eaten my liner. This is all got to work so i can tell my friend ,who owns the pool place,and who is really ****** at me, that this is for real....
Thanks Tiffani

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.