Tired and in Tears... Chemical blocks and kids

Bring the Chlorine up to shock level and keep it there by adding more as the level drops, you need to maintain shock level until it stops dropping and until it holds for at least 24 hours, the longer the better. The point is to maintain the high level so you will need to check it every hour or so and adjust. As far as using the 6 way shock, it probably has CYA in it and your level is already on the higher side, to much higher will cause more problems, best to stick with Liq. Chlorine.

Tiffani,
If your 6Way Shock has CYA in it, as it probably does, it will complicate your efforts at this time. Due to filter backwash, splash out and water evaporation your CYA will slowly come down and you should be able to use the 6Way in the future when it will not raise your CYA to problem levels. Don't use it now, but don't throw it away.

Thank you I will give it a try.. Will have to use my dropper test in mean time................

Okay I tested and it ,on the dropper test, its thehighest yellow you can go. Until I get me test i really dont know where to go from here .. Dont know what to do..

You need to maintain the shock level, when it drops add more to bring it back up to shock level. Its impossible to determine if you have to much or to little without proper testing, if you don't have the proper test kit take a sample to the pool store.

got it.. Thank you..Last week I had changed my mind on the test to wait and for us to see if we were going salt but just found out i can use it on both. Just ordered it from David and pool is looking better.. Thank you so much for posting

Got My test.....

Okay I got teh test in its alittle tricky but I am gong to give it a try. I didnt see a test for free chlorine .David thank you for your lesson the other day its like it just all clicked..Any advice on testing before I test..

Hey, tiffani,

Yes....some advice. Do one or two tests at a time.

First, just do the two tests in the blue plastic box.....you're probably already familiar with those. That'll test TC (total chlorine) and pH.

Next, do the Alkalinity test by simply following the directions carefully and then do the Calcium Hardness Test.

Post those 4 results here and then we'll talk about the other tests.

tiffani

Just a word of encouragement....keep working at it...I've tried to half way do it or stretch out the time and not keep the FC up as good as I should have and IT WON'T WORK!!!

I was slowly on the road to clear until the last 2 days I've really dug in and been diligent with it and it is clear now. Not sparkling yet but clear. I've poured 10 96 oz of bleach in the pool in less than 24 hours and my CYA is low so keep on.

The more you use the kit the easier it becomes and the more confident you are in the #'s. I've got my 14 yr old doing it now while I am at work. She calls me the drops for FC and I use the calculator and tell her how much bleach to pour in.

Hang in there!!

tj

22000 gal 30 ft round AG vinyl pool-sand filter-new to chlorine this year-TN with pool in full sun

Here they are..

David please dont be mad at me I was just so excited and didnt think anyone would post so soon, I tested for everything. Okay numbers may be off ,about 6 pds of baking soda got thrown in the pool so I might have to test again tommorow.. but first time but here goes

Cya said it was between 30 and 20

Chlorine was bright yellow so did other test and it said 5(if I did it right. Started off at 10 and went to 15 if my math is right (most of time not and dont have calculator) it came ou tto a 5

P.H if correst is t 7.2

TA is 250

CH 250

Forgot tomention that pool is super clear but they are killing the kids eyes.. I got in there and even if you dont open your eyes it gets in there alittle and hurts.. Thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It would be a big help if you could put some basic specs for your pool in your signature: size of pool, surface, equipment. Click on "Profile" in the page sub-heading to edit your signature.

(EDIT)Removed comments that don't apply.(/EDIT)

You want to raise CYA to between 30 and 50. Unless you added CYA in the last seven days, you should add some more now.

TA is too high. You should low TA at least some.

Stinging eyes most commonly comes from PH being below 7.2. Try raising the PH just a little, say to 7.4, and see if that improves things.

Okay I have always raised my ta and ph i have always used baking soda so what do all of you used.. I was telling Davin I have always just used the pucks in the chlorinator and shock once a week and some ch and other than that I have never donr antthing else so all this other stuff is very new.. I had to cya the other day now i dont have enough how do i raise that..I guess what i am asking how do I take care of my pol now and what products to i use to do so ?

Hey Jason The links are great now I cannot get chemgeeks but i think i can get buy without it.. I love the calculator but its calculating that i have 44000 gallons of water. Davids is going to give me his trick iand i will mesure after but in the mean time I have a 18x36 L shape liner pool . I know its the one size under a 20x40 but the pool store told me it had 23000 gallons but i think that is wrong.. Anyway its not salt but am going to switch later.. Jason David sent me a mesg. and I was telling him that the ph being a tad to low has never burned our eyes this bad.. It is really bad.. One of our kids wont even swim. The only time this happens,and its not even been close to this is when i have had to much chlorine in pool.. Anyway thank you Jason and to all the others. Tiffani

tiffains4 said:
Hey Jason The links are great now I cannot get chemgeeks but i think i can get buy without it.. I love the calculator but its calculating that i have 44000 gallons of water. Davids is going to give me his trick iand i will mesure after but in the mean time I have a 18x36 L shape liner pool .

To calculate the size of an L shaped pool, you should divide it the pool into two rectangles, then calculate the volume for each rectangle, and add them together. I would help more, but 18x36 L shaped is not enough information to figure it out. You need to measure the dimensions of all the sides, as well as the depth at both ends of the L, and at the corner of the L.

I'm also confused how you had a CYA of 60 last week, after you did a partial drain, and now you measured a CYA between 20 and 30. CYA doesn't just disappear, so something doesn't make sense.

Finally, burning eyes may mean you have high CC in your pool.

Randy

Okay my mesurements are 18x36 10x11 3ft.in shallow and 9ft in deep.. Vinyl.. The direction I have been given to get that free chlorine up is to keep it at shock level ,well how high is shock level and how long do I keep it there.

If you have high levels of combined chlorine in your pool, and you want to remove them, you have to raise your chlorine levels to shock the pool or use breakpoint chlorination (you can figure out how much you need to reduce the chloramines to free chlorine).

You can look here for your shock levels. Based on a CYA of about 30, 12-15 ppm chlorine should do the job.

As for how much bleach that requires, 5.25% bleach will raise 10,000 gallons about 5.25 ppm... so you want about 3 gallons of bleach per 10,000 gallons. That would be 6 gallons for a 20,000 gallon pool, or 9 gallons for a 30,000 gallon pool, etc.

Be sure to test though, that's just an estimate. Actual chlorine demand varies, and you may need more or less.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.