Stair tile?

jtech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
Plaster in two weeks. One of the last decisions is whether we want tile on the steps and swim-out or not, and if so, what we want. It is a natural looking pool... we are probably using French Gray Diamond Brite. Just curious as to whether there is any safety issue with not having tile on the edge of the steps. If we use 2x2 tile of the same dark gray color as our water line tile, either in a long strip, or individual diagonal pieces every foot or so, it seems like it takes away from the natural look of the pool.

It seems to me that just based on the difference in water depth, the steps will have a slightly different shade, and there should not be any safety issue during the day, or at night. I assume at night, they will be even more visible based on the pool light hitting them.

The swim-out has 18" of water... on either side of the main steps, the second step wraps a few feet further as an 18" deep bench.

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone on this, but especially those who did not use any tile on their steps.

I am not referring to the entire step... just the single strip on the edge or individual tiles spaces at the edge. So, using that is the exception and not the rule? That is good to know. I thought it was the other way around.

So, without any tiles on the edge of the step, I assume there is no safety issue for people to see the step of that the pool is shallower there, like on the swim out area, and that any tile used is purely decorative?

FYI, our 25-year-old pool has cobalt blue glossy tile edging the steps and the swim-out. I suppose it's an out-of-date style. Our neighbor recently had his pool resufaced, and re-tiled, and has a row of iridescent glass tiles set back about an inch from the edge of of each step and swim-out. It looks sharp!

We have no tiles on our steps, but many of our neighbors do, and it looks good and makes the steps very visible. A friend of ours just had their pool resurfaced, and they added tiles that glow in the dark after absorbing sunlight all day. They look fantastic at night, and just look like normal tile during the day.

Here is a picture of what the OP might be looking for...did this for my pool under construction. Honestly it does really make it look great and much safer IMHO.

Also, ignore the water, it is ok but I have no pumps, etc installed yet.

Attachments

• thursday pool steps.jpg
    thursday pool steps.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 496
We had tile placed on two steps and are really happy with it. Small tile with enough grout to help with traction. I think the norm is to have the edge of the step outlined with tile for safety reasons.

Attachments

• IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_3642.JPG
    IMG_3642.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 451
Here are ours...6x6 tiles cut into quarters. The second tile from the left on the top step was accidentally removed during plastering. I noticed it as they were putting the finishing touches on the plaster. They said 'no problema' and cut it in without a worry. BTW - Our plaster is a medium gray similar to DB French Gray in color.

[attachment=0:1262y8dj]2013-05-22 18.15.44 - TFP.JPG[/attachment:1262y8dj]

Attachments

• 2013-05-22 18.15.44 - TFP.JPG
    2013-05-22 18.15.44 - TFP.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 450
alanpaul said:
Our neighbor recently had his pool resufaced, and re-tiled, and has a row of iridescent glass tiles set back about an inch from the edge of of each step and swim-out. It looks sharp!

We did same Lightsteam iridescent glass for the step markers. Really like the way it looks. Just be ready for sticker shock. I'm pretty sure Pebbletec rebrands them and sells them through their installers as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bmoreswim, thanks for posting that... are you happy with the gray plaster color? I saw a pool today with French Gray Diamond Brite... it was just done a few days ago so it still had some green in it... but my PB said it will be all blue in a week. Would you have gone darker?

Has anyone ever seen tile installed on the vertical side of the step (riser)? Any issue with people swimming in to a step or swim-out wall or mainly people jumping in or stepping off an edge?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.