Heater reads "ERR" -- huh?

May 3, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Hoping someone can help and save me a trip from a pool repairman.

The hose that connects the pool cleaner to the side of the pool fell out today while my daughter was swimming. I noticed it a couple hours later and popped the hose back in the side of the wall -- I don't know if it is suction or pressure, we bought the home and pool was already here. I then noticed our heater has a message reading "Err," which I take mean "error." I assume the two are related because I've never seen the heater on like this. The heater only heats the spa and the propane tank is empty. The only time I've seen it illuminated is when a pool man was here to show me how to operate the EasyTouch system.

Not sure if it is relevant, but we also installed an IntelliFlo variable speed pump a couple weeks ago and the installer told me the pump won't run if, for instance, there are holes in the pool cleaner hose that don't let it get enough suction. I imagine the hose popping off could have set something off and is the cause of this error message?

The pool cleaner is currently running fine.

Is there anything I can do to address the "Err" message?

In the photo, Power, Pressure SW and Remote have green lights illuminated. Service has a red light and Off has a yellow/orange light.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 51
Have you de-energized and re-energized power to it?

What model is the heater?

It looks like a MiniMax NT. If it is here's what the manual says about the ERR error.
NOTE: If Code ERR is shown on the LED display at any time, turn the heater off, (from power switch),
then turn on the heater again. If the error code is still displayed, call a certified Pentair Service Technician
for repair.
"ERR -- Call Pentair's Technical Service Department at: (800) 831-7133"
That's on page 28 of the manual.

You are right, it is a MiniMax NT, which apparently has received rave reviews from many on this forum from the reading I did last night. I actually found the manual online last night, too, and flipped the breaker this morning and the "err" message disappeared. I could not get into the control box to turn off the heater and on again, but the flipping the breaker did the job. Any idea how to get into the control box?

To open the unit use a flat head screw driver and turn the screw on the front panel. The side with the display opens and you will see wires and what not and a metal en-closure. Either on the side or underneath the en-closer is a on/off switch, toggle it to turn on and off.

Err is an error for a bad Probe Thermistor. The thermistor is located on the right side of the unit where the water enters and exits. There an aluminum panel with two screw at the top. Remove the screws to get to it. It is located on the left side of the header and has a yellow wire which will be plugged into the board that the display is on. To test the thermistor, get a new one, disconnect the old one from the board, don't remove it from the header yet, plug the new one onto the board and turn on heater. If the unit comes on a fires up, problem solved. Now just remove the old one and install the new one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.