Old Hayward skimmer replacement basket / vac plate question

lconnors

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 1, 2013
Davenport, IA
Replaced pump and filter today, so some of the equipment is not ancient anymore.

The skimmer basket and weir are missing. The skimmer cover is in place and says its a Hayward SP1082. I've found 2 different basket types online. 1looks like a normal basket, the other has an opening for a pipe in the bottom. Looking at the skimmer, I can see where I probably need the one with the hole so that the basket will seat below the water line, as I think the normal one won't sit low enough. Can anyone confirm?

Also, does the vac hose just go straight into this hole then, or do I still need a vac plate? There isn't anything in the pool house but the hose and vac head, both of which were antique and replaced today. Very frustrating to get one thing replaced or fixed, only to find something missing in the next step that stops progress again :grrrr:

Also realized that there's a Dolphin Diagnostics robotic cleaner, but the power supply is missing. Debating if I want to spend $200 on a power supply, without even knowing if the cleaner itself works. One thing after another!

Laura

Re: Old Hayward skimmer replacement basket / vac plate quest

I believe that's the basket the pool store sold me on Saturday, but it doesn't fit. I'll post pictures of the bottom of the basket to show the model I got. The other picture is of that exact basket sitting in (on top) of the skimmer. In the other picture, you can see faintly (sorry, we got several inches of rain yesterday and the water level is WAY high) the pipe at about 12 o'clock inside the skimmer. The top of that pipe is about level with roughly where the water line would be normally, so the basket I have will not skim anything. It kinda sits on top of the water because that pipe is in the way. Not to mention it seems to be too small in diameter overall.

I found one online that has a hole/sleeve in the bottom, SPX1082EA, which looks like it might work, but I'm having a hard time actually locating one that is for sale, and I'd like a confirmation that that one will work. I've had 2 previous unsuccessful attempts lol.

Attachments

• basket.jpg
    basket.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 126
  • basket in skimmer.jpg
    basket in skimmer.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 124
  • empty skimmer.jpg
    empty skimmer.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 122

Thanks for the response. This is an old pool - we replaced the filter and pump over the weekend, we've got new vac head, hose, leaf rake, skimmer net and poles. Solar cover is on the way, there will need to be a new safety cover for the winter. We havent tried the heater yet, but as this is a rental property, I will probably not replace that at this point if it doesn't work.

I'm wondering though, how big of a pain it would be to just replace the whole skimmer? Clearly this one is going to be an issue if it's that old and unusual.

I realized I didn't mention earlier, and it isn't clear in the pictures, but there are 2 holes in the skimmer: one in the center, and this second pipe on the side. I'm totally baffled.

The basket I saw looked like the hole was in the center so I couldn't suggest it as a replacement.

It would be good if the pic looking down in the skimmer were a little lighter so we could see what's going on down in there.

lconnors said:
I realized I didn't mention earlier, and it isn't clear in the pictures, but there are 2 holes in the skimmer: one in the center, and this second pipe on the side. I'm totally baffled.
My skimmer is like the Hayward 1071. It's got two "pipes," really two holes - one provides suction from the pump to suck water into the skimmer, the other is a dead line to the bottom drain. If you put a "flying saucer" diverter gadget over top of both holes, you'll get suction to pull from both the bottom drain & the skimmer.

Any chance that "standpipe" is a cuff from a vac hose left in the suction hole?

Like I said, I haven't seen anything that looks exactly like the picture of your skimmer, so I'm just grasping at straws here....

I will check that tonight and see. It would make sense if that were the case - and would explain why there isn't a skimmer basket when everything else seems to at least be present, even if it isn't in good shape.

Or if it's a dead pipe, does anyone see any reason why I couldn't cut it down and plug it so I can at least get a normal skimmer basket in there?

More research and another trip to the pool store ( I did not buy anything :-D ). Pool store guys had no idea and really no suggestions. A little more reading and apparently this isn't common but it isn't unheard of either (except by the local pool store peeps). The pipe is plugged probably 8 inches down. Must have been plumbed in as an extra at installation.

I ordered the Hayward SPX1082EA basket, which looks like it has the offset hole/sleeve to fit over this. If that doesn't work, I'm going to cut the pipe off below where the basket would sit and cap it. I have to find a way to be able to skim and vac the pool, and this is the only way I can see right now. I have no idea what happened to the skimmer basket and vac from the previous owners. Maybe I will find it at the bottom of the pool when I finally get it clean :mrgreen:

On a happier note, the new pump (Hayward 1.5 hp Super Pump) and filter are going to town and really seem to be moving a lot of water. The new pump is SO quiet compared to the old one. Now that we're getting close to having this rental house pool done, I'm hoping to get a couple hours at MY house this weekend to vac and get my water balanced and start swimming!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Success! :party:

The skimmer basket I ordered with the offset hole fits perfectly. Once I got that in place and replaced the weir, it's noticeably clearing every day.

For future reference, here's a pic of the basket

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 58
i have the same skimmer and set up and yes how frustrating that nobody including hayward knows any info about this set up as it is there system. my pool was done in 1985. btw that pipe sticking up thru the basket unscrews. i sometimes use the suction pipe in the center and plug my vac hose into the pipe on skimmer to utilize my main drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.