Hayward 2 hp super pump SUPER LOUD!!!!!!

Sep 5, 2011
I just opened my pool up this spring and the pump is really loud and is chirping at me every once in a while. The chirping sounds like bearings that need grease (I know they are not capable of greasing), but the the loudness I do not know how to describe it... Its just a loud pump... Its pumping water as normal and my filter psi is holding steady at around 5 psi with all outlets and inlets wide open. Changing from skimmer to drain intake does nothing to the sound and changing the outflow to spa or main or both does nothing to change the noise thats coming from the pump.

Pump is Hayward SP2615X20 Super Pump 2-HP Max-Rated Single-Speed Pool Pump
Pool is about 20,000 gallons, have cartridge filter with 4 filters within.

We moved into the house back in fall 2011, the pump was quite then and last summer (2012). After starting it up this open it does not sound like it use to. the pump could be original (1998 pool install) as it only has one union on the outflow of the pump. The intake does not have a union :hammer: so this is the conclusion that I have made.

Does anyone know what the issue could be?

I will post pictures tomorrow as its pitch black outside right now!

Thanks TFP!!!!!!!

Bama Rambler said:
It's most likely bearings. Is there any water dripping between the wet end and motor?

no water dripping between the wet end and the motor. There is a very slow drip at the oulet flow port that appears to be where the silicone has come undone right where the pvc attaches to the black pump housing. no drip between the black housing and the gold metal body if you know what I mean. Is this what you are talking about?

Is it cheaper to get the bearings replaced or buy a new pump (450ish)? Never had to pull a pump for repair but have worked with unions and pvc before.

Thanks

Hi,

Same thing happened to my motor a few years ago. Instead of getting the bearings replaced, I ended up buying an A.O. Smith OEM pump, which was the same pump without the Hayward name on it. It was much cheaper (I think I paid around $150 - cant quite remember though, i dont think my motor is a 2HP either) than buying the hayward brand and not much more then what bearing replacement would have cost me.

The only thing I needed to do was purchase a cord for it (luckily I got the wiring right!).

Well, I took the pump apart last night and was shocked at what I saw. The impeller looked good, then I took off the impeller bellow and saw things deteriorating fast. The seal was worn completely then I took the black front part off to expose the front of the metal pump housing where the shaft comes out. The metal was completely corroded and there were no bearings, they must have been worn to numbs. There was tons of sand debris in the front area of housing, seals, gaskets stuff was just falling apart. Spindle looked ok but peaking through the cooling vents everything was corroded and rusted out. Not sure how this pump lasted this long but its in horrible shape. My money is on it being the original pump from 1999 when the pool was installed.

The plan is to buy a whole new pump and start fresh this way I know the history and can take care of it properly. I might by just the motor from a.o smith and plug it to the old wet housing just to have a backup in case the new one has issues.

Thanks for all the help!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.