New Home owner!

NiwRoC

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2013
Tucson AZ
Greetings everyone! We are New to AZ and this forum. :party: We've just closed on our home this past Friday which was a foreclosure. We had a home inspection done prior to purchasing the house and the pool. It was noted the pool has issues. Pump needs replacement, Quik clean Infloor actuator needs replacement, Hayward heater doesn't fire up, (This is for the spa) before any type of diagnostic can be ran it needs a circuit board and the timer needs replacement. I've got a contractor coming out to get the pool up and running but me and the wife want to do our own service / maint. I've ordered the TF-100 and think I will go with the BBB method to maintain the pool. We both are reading and rereading Pool School.

Here is my problem, the size of the pool, I've include a picture of the of the pool, it's a different shape. 30 x 22 at the widest point and 4ft shallow and 5ft deepest. I know it's important to know how much water is in the pool... We are going to go shopping for pool supplies, can anyone provide a list so we are not wasting money.

Also is it worth the extra $600 to go with the Intelliflo Variable Speed? The pump quoted was $900 but the upgrade Intelliflo will be $1500. I'm thinking I will make my money back in a year or so just on electric cost.. Am I wrong in thinking this??

photo.jpg

Welcome to tfp, NiwRoC :wave:

NiwRoC said:
I've ordered the TF-100 and think I will go with the BBB method to maintain the pool. We both are reading and rereading Pool School.
:goodjob:

NiwRoC said:
Here is my problem, the size of the pool, I've include a picture of the of the pool, it's a different shape. 30 x 22 at the widest point and 4ft shallow and 5ft deepest. I know it's important to know how much water is in the pool...
It is hard to say from the picture (it is at a very shallow angle) and the dimensions you gave. Maybe a drawing from above with more dimensions?

NiwRoC said:
We are going to go shopping for pool supplies, can anyone provide a list so we are not wasting money.
Until you get your kit, it is hard to say what you will need...but for sure you will need bleach/liquid chlorine.

NiwRoC said:
Also is it worth the extra $600 to go with the Intelliflo Variable Speed? The pump quoted was $900 but the upgrade Intelliflo will be $1500. I'm thinking I will make my money back in a year or so just on electric cost.. Am I wrong in thinking this??
A year would be real fast, unless you have astronomical rates. Is there just one pump for spa and pool?

NiwRoC:

Welcome to TFP :wave: Nice looking pool.

NiwRoC said:
I agree with linen that a one year payback on the VS is very optimistic (and unlikely). Again, it is dependent on your electric rates. The general rule of thumb is unless your kWh rate is greater than $0.20, you're better off with a 2-speed from an economic standpoint.

BTW, JasonLion recently did a thorough analysis focusing on the economic comparison of various pumps (single-speed, 2-speed and VS) here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/energy-efficient-pump-recommendation-t59139.html. This analysis is about halfway down the first page.

Also, the Determine Pump Run Time article was recently revised within the past week or so. Worth another look. You may find that you do not need to run the pump as long as you might think.

Pool tech who came out and did the new pump install, said we have about a 11k-13k pool. So I went with 12k. Will the 1k either way make a huge difference? I used the pool app and it stated 2 gallons of chlorine.

Add the chlorine and test 30 minutes after (with the pump running) to see how much the chlorine adjusted. 1k won't make a huge difference, but its always better to err on the side of safe.

NiwRoC said:
Pool tech who came out and did the new pump install, said we have about a 11k-13k pool. So I went with 12k. Will the 1k either way make a huge difference? I used the pool app and it stated 2 gallons of chlorine.
Assuming the pool tech was right, then no...no big difference....If as you add chemicals, you are not getting the expected change, then maybe revisit the volume then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.