Dirt coming back into pool

kyle11

May 17, 2012
I have a sand 500 lbs sand filter and have noticed dirt on my steps and cozy cove. I will brush my pool including the steps and cozy cove and the next day dirt will right back on them. There are reruns at both locations. Is this just a disadvantage the sand filter has being it can't catch the dirt or do I need to open it up to inspect the sand. Sand is only 9 months old. I have also experimented with de and that seems to help some.

duraleigh said:
A properly working sand filter will return no dirt. Are you sure it's not dead algae or perhaps just airborne dirt that collects in particular spots because of the water flow?

I do not know. I just know I will brush it towards the drain. The next day dirt is in the same spots on the stair and cozy cove. Just seems like it goes through the system and ends up on the stairs and cozy because the dirt is always right below the return.

When was the last time you backwashed? Did you use the "rinse" position after you backwashed?

If so, it may be time to open up your filter and visually inspect the sand bed, remove any debris on top of the bed, and break up any clumps that have formed in the sand. The sand should be about 2/3 full in the filter.

Have you thought about any other sources for the dirt? I'll give you an example...my house is less than a half mile away from a stable which has a huge dirt riding area outside. The horses kick up the dust, and the prevailing winds blow it right towards the subdivision. Everything outside - patio furniture as well as the pool - collect this fine layer of debris all summer long. Also, the pollen this year is out of control. My pool isn't open yet, but my patio furniture looks like Tinkerbell came and dumped fairy dust all over everything. If either of those is the culprit and it sinks beforw the skimmer catches it, that would explain the fast reappearance of the dirt.

kyle11 said:
I have a sand 500 lbs sand filter and have noticed dirt on my steps and cozy cove. I will brush my pool including the steps and cozy cove and the next day dirt will right back on them.
I also experience this at times and in the same places. It usually only happens when it's windy (common in North Texas in the spring) or when we get a good rain that washes airborne dirt/pollen out of the air. Vacuuming and brushing takes care of it for me. So it is entirely possible that nothing is wrong with your filter. If you have experienced either of these weather situations recently, I would suggest just giving it some time.

It also wouldn't hurt to inspect the sand bed and break up any clumps in the sand as duraleigh suggested. That's about the only maintenance a sand filter really needs. After doing this, you may find that your filtration improves.

If after you have ruled out the above-mentioned weather-related issues and inspected the sand bed and find that the problem persists, repost and we will take it from there.

Smykowski said:
My pool isn't open yet, but my patio furniture looks like Tinkerbell came and dumped fairy dust all over everything.
LOL...My grills look the same way and they are under a covered patio! Wiped them down again this weekend.

Ok thanks for the answers. It may be pollen or dirt in the air. My pool is crystal clear except for the steps and the deep end of the walls. Doesn't matter if I brush everyday it is there the next day. Just seems funny it is right next to returns is where it is the worse. I will open my sand and see what it looks like this weekend. Thanks for your reply's.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.