Poll for Borate users

maxepr1

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2011
DFW
I'm going on year 3 of BBB, I have not added ANY additional Borates since I started the method! Can this be right? No real measurable water loss other than backwashing and evap. I measured the other day, still 50, same as last year! I guess I want to know what are you guys seeing and doing each year?

I have to reduce water level for the winter freeze and add new in the spring, so I have to replace borates every year. I use the Borax and Muriatic Acid method to add borates. I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference in my pool but I like to do it anyway.
There is a very long thread talking about this topic. so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html
Not sure if that helps but hope it does a little.

I used boric acid last year and my reading on opening looked to be about 45.

I'd started from 50, but had topped up a little midsummer ( lots of splash out and evaporation.)

So lie you, I didn't lose much over winter anyway.

How are you testing for Borates? The LaMotte test strips don't have a very fine range on results, 0-15-30-50-80. My understanding is that borates, like CYA, doesn't evaporate. So you'll only see a loss through backwashing, draining, and splash-out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.