CYA Problem

Thykon

May 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Need some guidance folks,

I purchased the TF test kit and can not get a CYA reading.

Its not that it is too high, but I can see the black dot right up until the vile begins to overflow.
I have some aquachek test strips I bought for just quick spot checks (I have nothing good to say about their indication) and although difficult to get a real reading, it looks generally low 30-50.

I purchased some stabilizer to add from my local pool store and after some insistence from the owner that a pool as old as mine couldn't possibly have a reading that low, I brought in a water sample.

They claim that the CYA reading they got is at "100" and I don't require any stabilizer to be added.

I'm assuming that in the presence of a CYA value of 100 my water would be very milky looking after adding the reagent. This is not the case.

My PH is a little high (~7.8), but I haven't read of any factors that could cause my reading to be so low.

Am I missing anything here?
I have done three tests now and several strips and all show low ratings.

What should I do?

Thanks for the reassurance guys.

I'll follow my original plan and slowly raise the stabilizer levels.

Since, I'm in the process of opening the pool for the summer and currently running through the filter/backwash dance.
Is there a recommended method to add powdered stabilizer at this time?

I have read that typically you add it to a sock and let it dissolve in the skimmer.
But in my case, wouldn't some/all of that be lost in the backwash stage?

--Anthony

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.