need help opening my pool

May 18, 2013
Just recently took responsibility of caring for my pool. Was told to dump 5 lbs of PoolTime Shock ExtraBlue (the 6in1 shock) to take care of the green. (pool was a little slimy and had algae in places).

So i added the shock, brushed all the algae, vacuumed the bottom with skimmer vacuum, and put 2 PoolTime Plus 3" Tablets in the Floater. Waited a week, brushed again and vacuumed again.

Pool looks very clean now, but i measured the chems - and they are waaaay off. Here was the result yesterday:

CH: > 1000
CC: 9
CF: 10
pH: 8.4
TA: 180
STab: 150

So i put 20oz of PoolTime phDown (as directed) and measured a few minutes ago and have the following:

CH: < 1000
CC: 3
CF: 10
pH: 7.8+
TA: 130
STab: 100

Water looks good - but am afraid those chems are still to high for skin contact.

Please advise on next steps.

Thanks!

You should throw away the strips....they are causing your confusion and are worthless. Pool store tests are often pretty bad, too, but they can't be ANY worse than the inconsistencies you got.

We really advocate your own good test kit so you can learn pool water management with confidence and can stay out of the pool store.

No problem. We are here to help. :)

For starters, I don't really trust the numbers that you are getting from your kit. So, I would recommend strongly that you invest in a high quality drop-based test kit that we know to produce accurate results. Without accurate numbers, there is no way of knowing what you really have going on in your water. Please go to tftestkits.net and purchase either a Taylor K-2006 or a TF-100 kit. Once you have it, you can run a panel of tests and we can get you clear and swimming.

Please read Pool School for starters. There is very important information for you in there. :goodjob:

Roger that. I will catch up on my required reading and get one of those test kits. Until it arrives, can I use a PoolMaster Basic 5 Test Kit? Would that give more accurate results? I purchased one of these just in case the strips were retarded, lol.

Thanks!

Welcome, humanerd! I turned my back on the Pool Store 2 yrs. go & never looked back. I read Pool School, purchased a TF100 kit and my water has never been better. So grab a kit and the Speedstir, too if you are able. It's a must have in my book. The only thing I have bought at the pool store is a couple O-rings, MajicLube and a skimmer net. If I have a question about anything or just want some assurance I'm doing the right thing, these folks are always there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.