Lowering TA

Mar 28, 2012
London, ON CDN
Just wondering if you guys would lower TA when it reaches 130ppm? When I opened the pool this year my CYA was zero but my PH was also around 7.0 so is I raised the PH to 7.4 which counter acted the CYA addition. Doing so also pushed my TA to 130ppm. Just wondering what my limit for TA should be or if I should even be concerned with it right now. Water is clear and about 20 degrees celsius.

FC 3
CC 0
PH 7.4
CYA 30 slowing being raised to 40-50 pool is in directed sunlight for 12 hrs
TA 130
CH 115

Thanks

NWCanuck:

TA is a measure of the water's ability to buffer pH changes. Low TA levels usually causes significant swings in pH values while high TA tends to result in pH values drifting up. Your pH number is fine. Therefore, if your pH is relatively stable, I would not fiddle with the TA.

One other detail I noticed is that you are raising your CYA from the present 30 ppm to somewhere in the 40-50 range. Is the reason you are raising CYA because your chlorine consumption is high @ 30 ppm? If so, then that's a good reason. However, if your FC consumption is fine at 30 then I would leave CYA where it is, especially given your more northerly latitude. CYA is much easier to add if needed, but much more difficult to lower if the level gets too high.

Thanks for the quick reply. This is the second year I have had the pool and last year I ran around 30ppm CYA. I would average somewhere around 1.5 liters of 12% bleach a day. And maybe somewhere around 2 liters with heavy use. The 3kg container of stabilizer I bought treats 67000 litters but does not tell you where that will put you in ppm. My pool is about 79872 litters according to the pool calculator. So I added 3/4 of the container and I am adding the last 1/4 after waiting a week on the first dose. I test somewhere around or just under 30ppm CYA at this point so I would like to get between 30-40 or 40-50 to combat CYA loss due to backwashing and splash out.

I did not want to add the whole container even though it says it treats up to 67000 liters because it gave no indication of the resulting ppm.

NWCanuck said:
Thanks for the quick reply. This is the second year I have had the pool and last year I ran around 30ppm CYA. I would average somewhere around 1.5 liters of 12% bleach a day. And maybe somewhere around 2 liters with heavy use. The 3kg container of stabilizer I bought treats 67000 litters but does not tell you where that will put you in ppm. My pool is about 79872 litters according to the pool calculator. So I added 3/4 of the container and I am adding the last 1/4 after waiting a week on the first dose. I test somewhere around or just under 30ppm CYA at this point so I would like to get between 30-40 or 40-50 to combat CYA loss due to backwashing and splash out.

I did not want to add the whole container even though it says it treats up to 67000 liters because it gave no indication of the resulting ppm.
Poolcalculator can do the math for you. Upper right corner allows you to switch units from US to Imperial or that fiendish metric system. Plug in your numbers, set the target to whatever you want, and voila! Instant answer.

Down near the bottom there's Effects of adding chemicals, which is where I figured that if you added 2.25 Kg of that 3 kg container, you're at 28. The whole 3 kg should put you at 38.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.