Coping, tile, concrete repair - too much. Convert to Liner??

May 19, 2013
Bought a house two years ago. It has a 25+ year old concrete pool that was in reasonable condition. We enjoyed it the past 2 seasons, but this year, it needs a lot of work:

- Coping replacement - 40%+ shot - chipped, popped, cracked, etc.
- Tile replacement - 30%+ - same condition as coping bricks
- Concrete wall - many areas of substandard integrity.
- Paint - many areas of chipping and flaking

I decided to do a full "rebuild" so to speak.
- Full tear-off & replacement of all coping
- Full tear-off & replacement of all tile at the waterline
- Chip out loose concrete on walls - mostly at winter waterline. Repair
- New paint
I've asked the question to 2 or 3 pool companies on the rough cost for this project and they all came in at $15K-$20K. Too much.

I have a few questions:

1. What are the advantages/disadvantages of concrete vs. vinyl lined?
2. Could I convert my concrete to a lined pool? Should I? What would be involved in that process? Would it be cheaper than $20K?
3. Do I need any special type of tile? Is ceramic OK or do I need porcelain?
4. Any special adhesive for the tile or the coping? Or is a standard thin set OK?
5. What's best way to repair the concrete wall and steps? I can hear hollow sound in areas and that tells me to chip away until I get to solid material. It looks like this was done in the past and it's just time to do it again. How do I do this so it lasts another 5 years? Can I do something that will last 10+ years? I don't want to have to do this again.

Any thoughts by anyone? Anyone in the greater Mpls/St. Paul area that could do this for less than $20K???

What are my options??

Re: Coping, tile, concrete repair - too much. Convert to Lin

1) Concrete tends to look better ;) Concrete gives you way more flexibility on shape.
2) Converting to vinyl will cost about the same, maybe a little more, maybe a little less.
3) Tile needs to be frost safe. Porcelain always is, other kinds sometimes are.
4) Standard.
5) If done correctly a repair should last way longer than 5 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.