cloudy water

svenkj

May 19, 2013
First time poster, though I have been reading and studying advice here for awhile so I appreciate everyone's comments.

I have been struggling with water chemistry getting pool open this year, and now that I "think" i have it close I am still having issues with cloudy water and am at a bit of a loss. (recently added borates and at around 50ppm)

FC - 4.0 (no CC)
pH - 7.6
TA - 70
CH - 200 (came down from 280 while adjusting other components of chemistry)
CYA - 90

Appreciate any advice.

Welcome to TFP!

I imagine that your FC is not quite enough to adequately sanitize your pool with that CYA of 90. I might suggest getting your CYA down a bit (suggest 60 to 80 with a SWCG), shock, let it filter, and see what happens

Cloudy water most always means the shock process. There is an article in Pool School. Adhere to it until your water is crystal clear.

I would lower the CYA to 60 first, and turn the swg off so you can shock with liquid chlorine and monitor carefully the FC. It can't be done right with the SWG on.

A pic of your water would be helpful.

Let me add a couple pieces of info based on the recommendations to make sure I give the proper background (can a picture later tonight);

* the current chemistry is the result of some adjustments made over the last week - water got better, just not very clear i.e. the drain at the bottom of deep end is a fuzzy
* the CYA is up based on a little over shoot, last week it was actually close to 0 (not sure if I can bring down without a big water change?)
* given how cloudy the water was, i have been cleaning the filter once if not 2x per week, including Strip Kwik treatment in last week
* pool has not been shocked
* below is chemistry numbers - last weekend and this weekend

FC - 4.2 to 4.0
pH - 7.9 to 7.6
TA - 140 to 70
CH - 280 to 200
CYA - 10 to 90
Borate - 0 to 50

again the clarity got better as the water chemistry changed as above

If CYA is 90, FC needs to be all the way up to 23 to get ahead of the algae. You're waaaaayy to low. Even day-to-day, with crystal clear water, you'll need to maintain a minimum of 7. If you get a sudden warm spell, that cloudy pool's gonna become a green pool.

Probably what happened is that you got some CYA in the pool, which allowed the FC to kill some algae before the sun got it. But as the CYA level kept rising, the FC started getting bound up and lost effectiveness, which stalled the clearing process. Do something quick, before you start sliding backwards.

[center:7jo1dzy8][youtube:7jo1dzy8]uijLXS-IJZM[/youtube:7jo1dzy8][/center:7jo1dzy8]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.