Filter pressure doubles in less than 24hours

ARSayeed

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2013
Dove Canyon, CA
Hello. This is my first time posting on TFP. See my signature for details of equipment.

My pressure is running very high (30+). I backwashed yesterday morning at 10am for 3 mins and then rinse for 30 sec. Cleaned out skimmer baskets and pump filter basket. During backwash, pressure is 11 psi. After backwash, pressure is 13 psi. By 10am today, pressure is 31 psi. The sand was changed in April of this year. Pressure was still increasing. After I found TFP, I read pool school and changed the pressure gauge and a new pump filter basket. Nothing seems to be working to keep the pressure from more than doubling every 24 hours. My heater won't work when the pressure gets above 22. The LCD screen on the heater says PRS - CLEAN FILTER/STRAINER.

The water was clear yesterday but is cloudy today. We had a lot of rain storms last night so that might be why it's cloudy today.

TC = 2
FC = 3
CC = 1
PH = 7.6
TA = 80
CH = don't have test for this
CYA = don't have test for this
Borates = don't use

Please help!!

Thanks,
ARS

Cloudy water is indicative of a chemistry problem. Without knowing the CYA level, it's anybody's guess if the FC level is adequate. My guess is it's not. You're filtering out algae too small to see with the naked eye, but more is growing to replace it, hence the filter being overwhelmed. You need to get on top of it and start killing it faster than it can reproduce if you ever want to have crystal clear sparkly water.

[center:1ks521rv][/center:1ks521rv]

+1 what Richard320 said....your filter is doing it's job. Whether you can see it or not, you've got junk in your pool, almost surely algae, that is filling up your filter. Almost always from inadequate chlorine.

Can you post a set of test results and tell us how you are chlorinating your pool?

The water was clear yesterday but is cloudy today. We had a lot of rain storms last night so that might be why it's cloudy today. Just tested this an hour ago:

TC = 2
FC = 3
CC = 1
PH = 7.6
TA = 80
CH = don't have test for this
CYA = don't have test for this
Borates = don't use

A proper test kit. pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

file.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. I received the test kit TF-100 yesterday (thanks Dave S for getting this out quickly!!). Per the last post, I stopped putting tablets or shock in the pool and have used bleach to chlorinate.

Here are my test results:
TC = 4
FC = 4
CC = 0
PH = 7.4
TA = 120
CH = 400
CYA = 20
Borates = don't use yet

The pressure is still at 31 psi. I have not backwashed since last Saturday May 4th. The water is very clear and looks good. What else should I do besides backwash to see if they pressure goes down??

ARSayeed said:
Ok. I received the test kit TF-100 yesterday (thanks Dave S for getting this out quickly!!). Per the last post, I stopped putting tablets or shock in the pool and have used bleach to chlorinate.

Here are my test results:
TC = 4
FC = 4
CC = 0
PH = 7.4
TA = 120
CH = 400
CYA = 20
Borates = don't use yet

The pressure is still at 31 psi. I have not backwashed since last Saturday May 4th. The water is very clear and looks good. What else should I do besides backwash to see if they pressure goes down??
You have room to add more CYA, so for a little while, pucks are okay. But had it been high, you were wise to stop. There's just no way to know without testing!

If the temperature is acceptable, :splash:

You may add CYA by buying it separately and adding it via the sock method. That's the fastest and simplest way to get it right. And if you have difficulty figuring out how many pucks to add and what it will do to the chemistry, that's what I'd recommend. But if you still have some half-dissolved pucks in the floater, you can put it back in.

Hi - I'm still having issues with my filter pump pressure increasing very quickly. I've shocked the pool every night for three nites raising the FC level to 12 with bleach. I backwashed this morning and the pressure was 13 after back washing. It is now at 32. I have to backwash twice a day and I can't figure out why.

Here are my test results using TFT-100:

TC = 3.5
CC = 0
FC = 3.5
PH = 7.5
TA = 80
CH = 170
CYA = 20 (I can still see the dot in the tube with the solution at the rim of the tube)

Could it be something else besides water chemistry?

Not very likely.
I have to backwash twice a day and I can't figure out why.
Again, your filter is doing it's job.....filtering out impurities from your pool whether or not you can see them.

1. You are not shocking the pool. read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School

2. You should put in enough CYA to get to 30 ppm..pretty sure it is zero right now.

If you will get the CYA in there and shock the pool according to the article, your pool will be crystal clear and your frequent backwashing will stop. How does your water look this AM?

ARSayeed said:
Hi - I'm still having issues with my filter pump pressure increasing very quickly. I've shocked the pool every night for three nites raising the FC level to 12 with bleach. I backwashed this morning and the pressure was 13 after back washing. It is now at 32. I have to backwash twice a day and I can't figure out why.

Here are my test results using TFT-100:

TC = 3.5
CC = 0
FC = 3.5
PH = 7.5
TA = 80
CH = 170
CYA = 20 (I can still see the dot in the tube with the solution at the rim of the tube)

Nope. One good blast of chlorine a day isn't quite the shock process. The folks who get obsessive and test and dose every two hours or so through the weekend seem to have the fastest cleanups. You're killing off some algae, but then the chlorine is used up and what's left is given a chance to reproduce. Hence the never-ending filter clogging. You want to kill a bunch, then kill a bunch more, and keep on killing until there's nothing left to reproduce. With the low CYA level, the sun gets to the chlorine before the chlorine can get to the algae. Read how others have succeeded:
a-little-encouragement-for-those-with-algae-and-new-to-bbb-t57137.html
frog-filled-green-swamp-to-oasis-work-in-progress-t48213-20.html be sure to look at page 2
before-and-after-t36785.html
a-final-picture-set-of-how-well-the-bbb-method-works-t33199.html

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.