Arborists - Tree Root Question

pwrstrk said:
I've been told you don't want disturb the roots inside of the drip line of the tree. I take it that means the actual spread of the tree.
Yep, that the rule of thumb I've heard as well.

joshuaberman, I'm assuming you have a potential need that may involve disturbing the tree roots and the criticality of that need must be factored in to your decision. If disturbing the tree cannot be avoided, it would be best to wait until fall when the tree begins to go dormant for the season. If that's not an option and you must do it now, you could use a root watering rod (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Yard-Butler-WST-1-Tree-Watering/dp/B000P7M740) on the remaining sides of the tree to help compensate for the roots lost.

BoDarville said:
pwrstrk said:
I've been told you don't want disturb the roots inside of the drip line of the tree. I take it that means the actual spread of the tree.
Yep, that the rule of thumb I've heard as well.

joshuaberman, I'm assuming you have a potential need that may involve disturbing the tree roots and the criticality of that need must be factored in to your decision. If disturbing the tree cannot be avoided, it would be best to wait until fall when the tree begins to go dormant for the season. If that's not an option and you must do it now, you could use a root watering rod (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Yard-Butler-WST-1-Tree-Watering/dp/B000P7M740) on the remaining sides of the tree to help compensate for the roots lost.

Thank you. It's unavoidable and a concern. Doing my best to not kill a beautiful tree for a AGP.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Here are some pics. It wasn't the ideal space but it was really the only area to put it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368987886544.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368987886544.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 108
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368987894961.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368987894961.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 108
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368987903872.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368987903872.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 108
joshuaberman:

If the roots in the picture are the only ones that will be disturbed, sit back and relax. You and the tree will be fine. Those are surface roots and a relatively small percentage given the circumference of the tree. Several people around my neighborhood have put in circular driveways over the years and in the process have disturbed far more roots than what is showing in your pic. The trees are still there after several years and are doing fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BoDarville said:
joshuaberman:

If the roots in the picture are the only ones that will be disturbed, sit back and relax. You and the tree will be fine. Those are surface roots and a relatively small percentage given the circumference of the tree. Several people around my neighborhood have put in circular driveways over the years and in the process have disturbed far more roots than what is showing in your pic. The trees are still there after several years and are doing fine.

Awesome!! Thanks! I just wasn't sure. I lost two trees due to drought two years ago and have paid a considerable amount of attention since. Never done this before...it's quite the ordeal. Cheers!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.