New to site and pool help needed asap

May 19, 2013
New Pool Owner. Hoped someone could get me pointed in the right direction here:

I recently bought a house at the end of last summer and we have a master craft self cleaning turbo clean pool built in the early 1980's. I had a pool company come and open in mid April. In doing so they were supposed to add chemicals which they did and check the sand filter which I am not sure they did. The pool was not covered therefore was very green and dirty. I asked said pool company if I needed to drain and they said no that it should be good to go in a week or so. Anyway that was over a month ago and now after listening to them telling me to add up to 20 Lbs of shock a day, adding flocculant, etc and dumping hundreds of dollars in chemicals into my pool I have had it with them. They refused to come back out to look at without charging me again, so I am moving on.

Anyway, I just had my water rechecked and the chlorine level is currently a 10. That was on Thursday last week and I was told by a friend to add alkalinity and ph which I have now done and removed all chlorine tablets from my chlorentaor in order to balance the chlorine out to the 1 to 3 level. Anyway the water is cloudy blueish and you can now see the shallow end bottom but thats about it. I backflush quite a bit but does not seem to do a whole lot to clear it up. In fact my neigbor has the same exact one speed Hayward pump (mine actually looks newer) and his pool jets, skimmer suction, etc seem to have a lot more power than mine. He opened his pool which also had nast water and it is perfect three days later. Ugh. I think something may be wrong, needs new sand in filter, lines plugged, etc?

In any matter I have been promising my wife that I would have the pool open by memorial day for her birthday party this coming Saturday and its looking pretty slim at this point. So, I was wondering if anyone had any advice to give? It would be much appreciated. At this point, I have already spent over $700 and do not want to pour much more money into this.

Too bad you didn't think to check the internet $700 ago. Live and learn. Stop reading right now and go to http://tftestkits.net and order up a TF100 with the XL option, since you'll be using a bunch of the test powder early on. I also recommend a speedstir; no one who has one regrets buying it.

Now that you're back from spending your pool budget wisely, start reading Pool School.

Welcome to TFP!

You have received great advice. I cannot reinforce the suggestion of getting a good test kit enough. The TF-100 is top notch and will make everything else simple too. Don't go to the pool store again. Get the recommended test kit, test the water and post the results. Read Pool School. We will get you swimming soon!

Re: New to site and pool help needed asap...Still having iss

I appreciate the responses. I actually had one of the managers from the pool store came over at no charge and he tested the water and said all of the chemicals were now balanced perfectly. The problem though still exists. He backwashed for 5 mins and I got good pull on the skimmer for about 20 mins. The return though was very spuratic and then just quit all together as did the pull on the skimmer. He said the main drain was most likely a bit clogged and he could not figure out why the return was not working. Also the self cleaning jets are very spuratic and one is not working at all. They as well only seem to work after a kong backwash. Water is still a cloudy blue and a film of foam is lying on top of the pool. Do I have a clog? Can I snake the line or something? Help!!!! Thanks for any advice.

I should add that the pool store is not a repair place so knowledge was limited. He also thought that the sand filter did not need to be changed because I have water fall feature that flows just fine and that the pump seemed to be in good shape.

Sporadic flow from the return sounds like cavitation. Does it look or sound anything like this?
[youtube:hgyu947f]V9sotvJ0ioQ[/youtube:hgyu947f]

You might want to check some other videos, too. If so, you could have a clogged suction line, or it could be something even simpler, like low water level or a valve in the wrong position.