Skimming 10' x 30" Intex Metal Frame.

Apr 24, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Anyone have any ideas as to how I could make/build a surface skimmer for this one?

This pool came with a 530gph filter. I could get a 1000 gph Krystal Clear pump filter for about $40 bucks on Amazon, and then buy the over the wall skimmer, but I don't want to. I probably should spend the money. It's only $40. And it will prolly help with keeping the fine dirt off the bottom of the pool. And the skimmer will certainly help with keeping the bugs off the top of the water. But I just don't want to spend any more money right now on this pool. I don't want to get a Thru-wall skimmer. For one, not sure it would even work with the 530ghp filter pump. For two, I plan, with excellent care, to be able to sell this one super cheap in a few years when the 4 year olds are bigger and want a bigger pool. If I get another that doesn't have a skimmer included, I would want to keep whatever skimmer I have so I don't have to buy another. So, cutting a hole in the liner of this one would not help me sell it later. The fine dirt on the bottom is just a minor disturbance to someone like me who strives for perfection. I swam in pools much dirtier than this. Of course, I could just stop being lazy and cover the stupid thing every night.

FYI, for anyone wondering how to get sand and such out of the pool, I had these old nylon nursing socks that sucked at keeping my legs from hurting, so I just use those inside the net bag on the ventri vac. The material allows for good water flow through and traps fine dirt and sand. (Also recently cut one in half as they are knee highs, and put the upper portion over the filter inside the pump to test how well it traps this fine dirt from being put back into the pool through the inlet.)

And, as I hate to add water to the pool when I don't need to, I also found that opening the bottom "emptying hole"(because I'm having a brain fart and can't think of what it's called) sucks water off the bottom of the pool and does pretty good and getting most of the dirt out so I have very little actual vacuuming to do, and then need to add more water so the ventri vac adding water isn't so irritating.

I also have taken to "backwashing" the filter pump by turning it off, taking off the top and letting the water run out, while bouncing the filter up and down. If I see dirt on the bottom, I cap the in and outs, empty the filter, and spray the hose into it. Hoping this keeps the filter pump running well for longer than I have read most people. Conceivably, even this "toy" pump should run forever if it's maintained well, shouldn't it?

Anyway......

DIY Surface Skimmer Ideas? Holy around the world with that post, huh?

Cover it and most of your problems dissappear. That's what I did....that and spend $15 for a replacement Unicell filter (they make them for the small Intex pump) and the other part of your problems will be gone too.

Unless you can find someone throwing out their older over the side Intex skimmer, I would keep it factory....

Bob E.

Firstly, the overwall skimmer doesn't work with the 530gph pumps. So I would have to buy another pump too and while you may have money you can just spend whenever you want, I don't. I have 4 kids I'm trying to keep cool while keeping my central air use to a minimum because I can't afford 300 dollar electric bills. So if I can wrig something DIY, that's what I prefer. Thanks for your input but I don't understand the need to respond at all if you had nothing of value to add to the thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.