Question about chlorinating while filling

aretha1075

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2013
Jonesville, VA
Hey guys and guys I have a question. The pool is finally standing and water going in. Woohoo. We have a well so it will take several days to fill it without killing the pump. It stormed really bad yesterday so I added about a quart of bleach (8.5) and about a 1/2 cup of dichlor. Skimmed the tree droppings this morning and checked chlorine and ph.

Cl- 7
Ph- 7.5

Is it ok to keep chlorine around this level until the fill is complete and the pump started?

I added some dichlor to put some cya in the water to protect the chlorine. Thanks!

I would shoot for a CYA of 30 ppm and keep FC level according to that. Remember CYA level wont show for about a week. I would also use just CYA in a sock in fromt of the return. Your TA is high also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

pwrstrk said:
I would shoot for a CYA of 30 ppm and keep FC level according to that. Remember CYA level wont show for about a week. I would also use just CYA in a sock in fromt of the return. Your TA is high also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

When the water is high enough for the pump to be turned on I will put a sock of CYA in. I did not think the TA would hurt until I get the pool full. All I am hoping for right now is to keep algae at bay.

Dose carefully and test carefully. a quart of bleach and 8oz of dichlor raised your FC by 60+ ppm and your CYA by 30 in 1000 gallons.

That your FC is now only 7 ppm is a good thing and that you added some chlorine is a good thing, too, but use the poolcalculator next time and reduce that dosage.

Never put chemicals in your pool unless you know the results beforehand.

aretha1075 said:
Hey guys and gals I have a question. The pool is finally standing and water going in. Woohoo. We have a well so it will take several days to fill it without killing the pump. It stormed really bad yesterday so I added about a quart of bleach (8.5) and about a 1/2 cup of dichlor. Skimmed the tree droppings this morning and checked chlorine and ph.

Cl- 7
Ph- 7.5

Is it ok to keep chlorine around this level until the fill is complete and the pump started?

I added some dichlor to put some cya in the water to protect the chlorine. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did the same thing last year with putting up my Intex last year. I started like you with filling from my well about 300 gallons a day. I would get in the pool with a half cup of bleach and walk around in a circle trickling the bleach in while the walking would circulate the water around. About 4 days of that and I gave up and paid the $250 for water. Still didn't have enough for the pump and needed 1 more day of fill from the well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.