Liquidator Check Valves...what's the point?

nthole

Jul 9, 2012
After a rough day I finally have the Liquidator running, or so it appears. I don't have any major bubbles in the system but I do have what I would call soda fizz in the lines here and there. I see it in the actual tank as well, so I'm hoping that's not a big deal.

I've taken my reading for tonight and will check it again tomorrow. Unfortunately have to leave for the week tomorrow pm so either I'll hope it's running well or shut it down and have the wifey half bottle it every day while I'm gone.

But my real question is, all the leaking like a sive air turnout out to be the connections on the John Guest check valve (the 1 of 3 that I ordered on line that showed up... apparently the packagers can't differentiate between the numbers 1 and 3). I had so much air my pump wouldn't actually pull water. Went and got some additional 3/8 hose and mounted that directly from the pump to each device (liquidator out, hayward needle, volume meter, check valve) to find the problem. With some coaxing the JG check valve now appears to be seated and the pump is huming nicely.

However, since only one valve came, I just have a straight line from my tap to the Liquidator on the return. Which begs the question, what is the point of the check valves? I run my pump 24/7 so I don't have any worry about air backing up when it's not on. The return side seems to be humming along. When I was testing each connection it was working beautifully, including no soda fizz, without the check valve. So what's the point? Can I run both sides without it? Seems like one less thing, which I'm always up for one less thing.

Thoughts?

The check valves are for installations where liquid backs up in the line(s) when the pump is off. If your installation doesn't drain the tank or overflow the tank when the pump is off you don't need the check valves.

The check valves really only critical if your LQ is below pool water level. If it is and you do not have check valves then when the pump is off the pool could drain through the LQ. I removed all of my check valves years ago and have had no issues at all. You will get better flow without them as well

Hi People. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the last post seems to deal with my exact Liquidator question. I plan to order an LQ. It will be located about 8 feet below pool water level. With that much head above the pump, I'm concerned that there will not be any "suction" on the input side of the pump when it is running on low speed. Is there actual suction on the input side regardless of pump speed and location? Thanks, Frank F.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.