Can't get return plugs out!! Any hints?

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
I usually open the pool but let "the professionals" close it ... and although we've never had a problem unscrewing the plugs on the returns before, the "pros" seem to have applied extreme torque last year and we can't even budge them this year. No call back from them yet ... so I'm turning to the real pros, TFP.

Any ideas for getting them unscrewed without destroying the threads? I don't mind destroying the plugs themselves. Is there a special tool they used to close the plugs, that we could buy to open them? I'm betting the tool would cost less than a visit.

GRRR ... :x

What have you already tried to turn them with? They are designed to be turned by hand, but you can grab the central ridge with channel lock pliers at an angle and that will give you quite a bit of leverage. If that doesn't work, they are pretty stuck and may need to be broken apart to get out.

We have tried channel lock pliers, but they aren't budging. I did find a tool called a Multi-Purpose Wrench by Hayward (I think), but it will take days to get here. Hoping that PB will come by and open it, since they're the ones that torqued it down too tight. I wonder whether drilling into it would relieve the water pressure behind it and make it easier to move? Grasping at straws, really, since I have no idea! If yes, I'm thinking I'd have to drain the pool considerably or ruin a cordless drill attempting to drill underwater ...

http://www.toolsforpools.com/catalog_20 ... epress.pdf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.