Tile grout and scale

sirena

Jul 15, 2011
The tile around the top of the pool is covered in scale and the grout is failing. Anything floating on the pool surface tends to collect on the scale and slimy, green/black algae thrives on the grout at water level. Nothing seems to get rid of either despite all the brushing and scrubbing.

1. How do I get rid of the scale so that the tile is smooth, bright and shiny again?
2. What is the process to re-grout the tile and is there a specific product that should be used?

Although not an expert tiler, I have done a fair amount on counter tops, backsplashes and floors but never a pool.

Scale can be removed with a 10:1 water to muriatic acid mixture. Apply it, let it sit for a bit, and then brush it off. Wear gloves and eye protection when doing this. Not sure about regrouting but I don't think that you would need to do that because of algae. Some scrubbing should take care of things.

Thanks for the advice. I've already tried muriatic acid and it didn't make a difference. Here in Phoenix, the water is really hard and the pool really old.

I don't believe the algae is causing the grout to fail, rather the failing grout makes it easy for algae to grow and more difficult to clean. Plus it doesn't look good and I'm assuming is a place for water to seep.

Thanks again for help

Acid is the one and only solution for removing scale from tile. If it didn't work for you, you were not using enough acid or that isn't calcium scale. When applying acid to calcium scale it should foam up, if it doesn't you have some that isn't calcium on the tile and might want to try tile soap instead of acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.