New Pump/Filter Backwash

May 23, 2012
Good afternoon,
Just had a new hayward energy efficient 1hp pump installed, as well as a 27 inch hayward sand filter. I bought the equipment myself, but not being comfortable with electric, paid a local pool guy to install. He mentioned not backwashing for at least three days after the initial backwash. However, because I didnt realize the pump was dead until I opened the pool for nearly two weeks I was just dumping bleach and using a small sump pump for a few hours a day to circulate the water. Chlorine level was actually staying somewhat level despite the issue, but water was very cloudy, clearly since I didnt have an operating filter.

So after a day straight running the pump the water is clearing up nicely and levels are holding, but my pressure gauge on the filter is reading pretty high, causing the heat pump to not operate, citing "low pressure". Just curious if there is any legitimacy to what he was saying about holding off 3 days before backwashing again? And as always, turning to the best resource I know.

Thanks all.

Cheers!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.