Proper pump size, recommended replacement

boaz65

Jul 18, 2012
I'm a first time pool owner and I'm ready to do my first opening this season. After reading lots of posts on this forum, I want to hard plumb my pool. Its a small 15 X 54 above ground pool and it ran fine after it was initally installed last summer. It came with a 1.5 hp Roaring River pump and cheap flexible hosing. From what I've read here, this is a junk pump. I'm afraid that it and/or the flimsy hosing will fail so I want to replace it with something more reliable. From my understanding, 2 in PVC is the way to go, but what would be a good size and make for a pump replacement? Also, the original configuration was with a long cartridge filter on the side of the pool. Are the sand type filters better than what was installed initially on our pool?Thank you all for the great tips and advice that you freely post here!!!!

I would suggest sticking with a brand name like Haywar, Pentair, Jandy, a 3/4 HP would likely be more than enough pump for your circulation needs, yet still provide enough suction for vacuuming. If you need to save money there are some cheaper, but still well known brands like waterway, as well as some house branded stuff. I have found ebay to be a great source for deals on pumps, I managed to buy my last one there (new in box) for about 2/3 of the best price I could otherwise find online.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.