New pump, should I replumb, and what?

May 16, 2013
Hi all! I'm a new pool owner who bought a house with an existing 16x32 in ground pool with vinyl liner. I made the decision to convert from the old puck system with an IC 40 SWG and upgrade the old pump with an intelliflo. Both of these units have 2", and the original system was pumped using 1 1/2" piping. I am wondering from the general consensus whether I should attempt to replumb the whole thing in 2" or just use reducers to fit the existing 1 1/2" size.

I am also running a s8d110 de filter and heater, which were all plumbed with 1 1/2".

My first inclination is "you dummy, if you want to run 2"' you just can't convert right before the valves, because 1 1/2 is running from the pool itself. You would have to dig everything up and run 2" from the pool entrances or exits", but because a pool company was willing to replumb the whole thing for $3,600, which did include the pump and the SWG, then it must be possible without excavating the whole thing.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as I have at least a couple of days before I begin the opening process.

Thanks!

I would live with the 1.5 and simply get adapters for the pump.

There is no way you would ever see enough benefit from 2" pipe to recover your investment and, because you have a variable pump, you can simply dial it in for your system to operate just fine with the 1.5 inch plumbing.

Although if you are working on the pad plumbing, replacing with 2"pipe and fittings can help and just reduce where you need to.

Just not worth trying to dig everything up. The losses are higher in the fittings and turns than all the straight pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.