Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
When I came home tonight our cartridge filter case was SPRAYING all over the backyard. Any advice on what we can do either permanently or temporarily? I'm guessing the PB is closed tomorrow and I think there's a good chance they won't be able to come out until Tuesday. We've turned the filter off and popped a puck in a floater for Chlorine.

I can't quite see where the water is coming from in the picture. Is that a crack in the filter body? Or a fitting of some kind that is leaking? A crack in the filter body pretty much means time to get a new filter. While a leaking fitting might be replaceable/repairable.

The water is coming from around that round bit. Looks like a fitting, but it isn't anything that appears to be able to be tightened. The filter is 5 years old. Does it make sense that it might need to be replaced in that period of time?

I have the same filter. That is the bottom clean out plug that you can remove when cleaning the filter. The plug comes out by using a wrench or you can use a long screwdriver turned sideways. It maybe cracked or just need to be tightened up. Hard to tell from the pictures.

Probably a split O-ring on the drain plug. The good news is, if the pool store doesn't stock it, a local mom-n-pop hardware store might.

Kill the power so the filter can't come on with the timer, follow the winter drain directions in the manual, and take parts 15, 16, and 17 with you to the store.
[attachment=0:3baglpbc]cartfilter.gif[/attachment:3baglpbc]

Attachments

• cartfilter.gif
    cartfilter.gif
    30.3 KB · Views: 51
Thanks all. On way home from PB with a new plug and o ring, which he gave us for free. O ring was cracked.

To follow up on my statement above, most people over tighten O-ring plugs, over tightening results in crushed o-rings and that leads to leaks sooner or later, also in extreme cases broken fittings.

New plug and O ring in. Apparently what happened (per PB) was that the o ring in there was too thick. That was either original equipment or something his ppl put in there, since we had never replaced it and no one but PB's company has ever touched the equipment.

Pool working fine now. Happy happy happy. Soon it will be warm enough to swim!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.