Assistance Please

DKT113

Jun 28, 2012
Butler, PA
Hello Folks,

Winter cover disaster, resulted in debris in pool.
Little Giant Pump taking water of what was left of Winter cover, resulted in a truckload of water needing to be delivered.

2 Bags of off the shelf "shock" added trying to help.

Today I finally get to work on this and get BBB which I used last year successfully. The water that was left in the pool looked each and every time I checked before removing what became tattered covering filling pool with a whole bunch of crud.

I have a 27 round AGP. Sand filter. TF-100 Test kit.

Keeping in mind I was "assisted" with 2 bags of off the shelf "shock" prior to me being able to test, as well as having 6500 gallons delivered. I am now able to test and not getting a CYA reading. I have actively been removing debris all day. Filter has run nonstop 24+ hours and will continue, debris should be out 90-99% of it this evening.

Do I put stabilizer in?
Should I be chlorinating (with Bleach)
I know my focus right now needs to be on debris removal first and foremost, and it is.
I also don't want this going from bad to worse so felt I should try and stabilize the water (I don't necessarily mean with stabilizer product) but stabilize it in general so I don't have more of a lagoon than what I already have.

Learned alot last year, had very nice people help me, so I am back again to ask how you think I should move forward, keeping in mund I do BBB, but have debris, fresh added water and I could not get black dot covered when I was finally able to test after being assisted by having those shock packets added.

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend.

Assuming that you have a CYA of 0 ppm, I would suggest adding enough CYA to get you to 30. Don't recheck your CYA for a week after adding it. It takes a while for the CYA to dissolve.

FYI, for a CYA level of 30, your shock level is 12 ppm FC. :goodjob:

Now the 2 packs of off the shelf shock were added yesterday. Not sure if I have rising cya that just can't be tested yet... as the shock has only been in about 28 hours.

Would I buy stabilizer off the shelf at the store is that how people raise it and should I do so tonight/tomorrow?

If I do use that stabilizer or another product (I know I need to revisit pool school and will do so over the weekend) but assuming I add stabilizer from the store raising it to 30 ~ will I then add bleach to shock lvl 12 (I do remember calculator and I have bleech) as I continue to sweep side, vac and filter?

And I thank you for the prompt response, appreciated.

Didn't proofread initial post ~ meant to say water under cover through the winter was beautiful. Until the tragedy happened :) had another typo too, can't remember , but had everything gone as it should I would have opened to sparkle this year.

The bags were disposed of (and trash fully collected yesterday was garbage night) before I could get them. Two bags were added, I am assuming probably hth or whatever walmart would carry, the pool store I use is near work so I know they didn't go there too far of a drive, and the local pool store are ripoff artists so I would think something out of WalMart, Target Lowes or Home Depot...

Not real helpful with my answer I apologize.

I am with you on that I didn't put the product in, I was helped.
But is is called "shock" so I had to put what is was called to get help with the cya. It's in there, not by my own hands but I have to deal with it.

(we got the pool last year, started with that pristine blue, it turned daughter's hair a not so pristine green so I went BBB.
I realize I shock with chlorine bleach, I was properly able to have my levels correct last year. This year thrown a curve ball, so I want to make sure I have correct cya levels and can then move forward ~ that's why I am here :) )

Ok stabilizer added (assuming goal of 30 will be achieved) Used a pair of my daughters tights that "no longer fit" :wink: they dangle from return. Works great!
FC: 5.5 ~ added 242oz. 8.25% Clorox
PH: 7.5
Total Alkalinity: 120

Pump/Filter: full swing ahead
Catching the debris that settled through the night.

I can see the bottom, both days my son and I know visual improvement.

Will keep it at shock level as I continue to work on it. I can't backwash, as I have added to Stabilizer, but have a large filter so hoping we'll be cool.

Am I doing something incorrect?
Should I be doing anything else?

Thanks all!

I can't backwash, as I have added to Stabilizer, but have a large filter so hoping we'll be cool.

Because you are adding the CYA via sock method, you can and should backwash when the psi rises 20 - 25% higher than clean filter psi.

Continue the shock process as outlined in Pool School :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I held my FC of 12 through the night.

Based on the assumption my CYA is 30, unable to test that yet as I just added stabilizer yesterday.

I need to remain in shock for awhile as my water isn't clear.

Today is predicted to be sunny, should I put a wee bit of Clorox in the pool, to ensure that I stay at target when the sun hits it.

I dropped my reagent yesterday ~ crystals in the little jar that you put in with the tiny blue spoon, can't remember the number assigned to it. So with that I need to limp a bit in the testing as I have to hope I have enough to get me through until I can place an order in the morning (it should arrive quickly as I live in PA and it comes out of the Carolinas). I will obviously test tonight. I really don't have enough to test throughout the day as I like to do when shocking and home.

You're on the right path and have a good understanding of the process. Until you get the R-0870 powder, you could make do by simply adding enough bleach each evening to keep the OTO test a solid yellow....more yellow than the 5 ppm at the top of the comparator.

If the OTO test starts to yield a slightly orangeish result, then you are probably a bit high so reduce the next dose somewhat. It's very inexact but since you have already dosed with CYA to 30 ppm, you have enough safety factor to prevent badly overdosing your FC.

as soon as the R-0870 powder arrives, it will get you right back on track and you shouldn't lose the progress you have already made.

I put half - 3/4's a jug of the 8.25% in to hold for now. Hard to be exact free pouring. Will use the other testing to eye it to help limp the reagent along until mine arrives. I was figuring with the cya in, it is more in my favor to overshoot the Clorox than to let it sit in there strong, but not strong enough to keep me in shock.

I drive about 30 miles to work each way, there are probably 50 pools I pass & only me and one other person are opening. Most around here wait until Memorial Weekend. I figured though cooler temps have to help the shock process, inhibiting some of nasties from growing & I would like to be enjoying the pool Memorial Day weekend opposed to cleaning it.

People wondering what I am doing purchasing all this bleach. Got grilled twice this week. Bought 4 cases initially, they had two full pallets and when I went back in they only had a couple cases of the non additive stuff so I purchased 8 more. When they ask and I tell them its for the pool, they tell me about the pool section, they insinuate I am nuts & tell me I need to get with a pool store. It's always odd when a person doesn't think you are "sharp" enough to catch their insinuations. Second trip after being grilled from a 19 year old with holes in his ears big enough my clorox jug could have rested in ~ I mentioned this site and he was baffled but lady in line ahead of me asked what the name of this site was, so she might be reading into it. People don't seem to want to give BBB a chance.

People wondering what I am doing purchasing all this bleach. Got grilled twice this week.
Yeah, most of us have experienced the same thing. After a while, those situations will turn to smug (try to resist) satisfaction.

I used to "preach" to anyone and try hard to "convert". Now, I give them the link if they want to learn but many, many folks give you that blank look which I have learned to almost enjoy over the years.

Hey, up here in Eau Claire my kids are swimming this weekend :D

I don't know what the Trader Horn in Butler has, but out here on rt. 38, they have Austins bleach for $1.89 and also have Austins Pool Shock that is just 12.5% concentrate bleach for I think $3.49. It calculates to be the same cost per unit of chlorine but it would be a bit less than half the quantity of bottles to carry.

Its cheaper driving 1 mile to Trader Horn out here than 30 miles to Walmart for me, but I guess still might be cheaper for you at Walmart.

I grew up out there, we lived back in behind Muscatello's ~ it's the Beer Garden now.

My Grandmother still lives out there, she has for about 70 years.

I am out there every weekend, not this Sunday though because of work and I have to have phone service & it's sporadic out there at best.

Have a Warehouse Sales (they might actually refer to it now as Trader Horn, I don't really know, but they are all the same) / down the road from me on 422 will check there, but I can hit that one up by you next week.

I work beside the Austine's Plant but I know the gal I work with can't buy her pool products from them, not sure if they do direct sales on their bleach or not.

Small world :) Thanks so much for the tip. Enjoy this weekend we are catching some weather finally!

Reagents Ordered. Hoping they fill the order and get in out on the truck :)

Now, it wasn't as sunny as I expected yesterday, with that though, maintaining shock level I didn't see improvement yesterday ~ I think lack of sun made us feel it looked murkier. All visible debris that has been swept/sucked out. I am unable to say it is all out ~ but everything I can see is and after I sweep and check the basket ~ it doesn't need emptied. Backwashed first time saw uglies, second time I backwashed no visible uglies. But water is murky / cloudy. Keeping in shock level ~ used good testing reagents this morning (using the good stuff twice a day, as I spilled reagent) ~ consumed some chlorine last night but only needed to bump it up a little to get back into shock range & I did put extra in as I am in the office during the day and can't test when full sun hits.

Murky/Cloudy situation did not improve yesterday, but just started so trying to keep the faith clarity is coming. Sweeping daily at first to remove visible debris and now to stir up the water. I think I am doing what I need to do. Will test cya this weekend ~ thinking Sunday since the last of it dissolved officially on Sunday. Pump Filter running 24/7 ~ fingers crossed I clear. Dad said I needed clarifier ~ I just explained I was riding with this method. I am on a mission. Everyone is hoping I succeed, but they are doubtful and I know thinking I should be using pool products. Please let this water clear :)

critical dot com on the reagents. I believe tomorrow I will be officially out of juice. Been limping along nicely though & I did order first thing Monday morning so hoping by the weekend I am stocked back up.

Progress is slow. Still so murky and I am holding a fairly consistent shock level. Test presun in the am & dose with a little extra coverage while I am at work (we've had bright sunny days) test again at 5:00 pm boost add when necessary, and then again at night. I have been sweeping/ stirring the water. So with that I know I am on the right track. Rains a coming ~ but I will work right through it and make sure I get a deep sample for testing once it starts pouring. Wishing now with this rain I would have shot for cya of 40, but... Sunday I can test cya and increase if necessary.

Filter going 24/7 if we get the storms like they are calling for I will have to shut it down. We are supposed to get some serious boomers!

Hope everyone is getting ready for the holiday weekend. Cooler temps / not so great weather here, but we're looking forward to getting done what we can & good times regardless.

Reagents arrived, super timely & packed liked someone cares ~ thank you!

Visible improvement today. Murky still, but improvement.
Have been rained out for most of the evening. Did get over half swept, but thought it's really not too cool to have a long metal pole dancing in the breeze during a lightening storm. So with that I shut down the operation until the storm clears (which does seem to be happening).

Did want to say thank you for the timely shipment of reagents ~ bacon savers as I would have been out tonight for sure. Now I don't have to hold back on testing and as I will be home this cold memorial weekend I want to hit it with everything we can & then get the solar blankie on it to warm a bit. My youngest doesn't have an ounce of fat, she gets cold quick, me not so much :oops: I don't like heated pools or ones that feel like bathtubs ~ but have to warm it a wee bit for my little chicklett.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.