Confirmation of results/help

May 12, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi all and thanks for the opportunity to post my questions!
I started my shock process about two days ago using liquid bleach an have monitored pretty closely however I will admit it was not hourly.
I can say confidentially that I have kept over 10ppm of cl2 for the duration as the hach test kit I'm using neutralizes 10ppm per each drop of thiosulfate and I am clearly over 10ppm but under 20 ppm, as a second drop of thiosulfate renders the sample clear in color, until me K2006 kit arrives.
My levels are as follows
Greater that 10ppm which conforms with the pool calculator qtys required, although I realize my shock levels are to be 16ppm with a level of 40cya
CL = 10 ppm plus
CYA = 40
PH =7.2-7.4
TA = 100
CH = 625 (really high I know)
Overall my problems that I just cannot seem to get all the algae,it is light in color and constant brushing makes the algae easy to see as the light green film brushing churns up.
Filters were cleaned just before I began the shock process and some foe the bands are broken, overall the 4 filters clean up pretty good.
Pool is a natural rock pool with multiple boulders under the waterline and I have never really been able to keep the pool consistent.
Water is only one year old and pool is 6 years old.
Thoughts/suggestions?
1-more vigilant on cl2 levels, keeping them in the 16-20PPM range.
2-CH levels a concern or having an impact on algae control measures?
Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

Well, you cannot really be certain as to what your FC levels are until you receive your test kit. With this in mind, you're just going to have to continue to be patient, brush a lot, keep running the pump, and keep shocking. Keep the process going until you loses no more than 1 ppm of FC overnight, your water clears, and your CC remains at 0.5 or less. The CH, a separate issue, can be dealt with once your water has finished shocking and is clear.

dave300 said:
Thanks, and ok. Guess I should've said the pool is clear and the algae is in large areas and is not at all very dark in color or noticeable. I'd like to think I'm at least keeping it somewhat in check?
Probably. Don't forget to brush. Algae can grow like a scab to protect it from bleach, and brushing knocks it off.

Hello again, I now have my K-2006 kit. I keep the CL2 levels up above 10ppm as previously stated for about 8-10 days.
Again this is a natural rock pool with some inlets and crevices that I guess provide some dead spots and there still is some light algae in these areas.
Today's readings;
Free chlorine = .2PPM
Combined Chlorine = less than .2 (when I add the R-0003 the sample barely turns from clear to a faint pink, one drop of R-0871 clears the faint pink color)
PH = 7.6
TA = 110
CH = 350
Cyanuric = 40-50

Overall the pool is much better. Guess what I'm wondering is should I go back into full shock mode since I do have some slight mold in the crevices. These areas may not get good circulation? Can I or should I just elevate the CL2 current levels and keep on scrubbing?
Thoughts, questions, recommendations? Thank you all. Happy Memorial Day and remember what Memorial Day represents.

dave300 said:
Hello again, I now have my K-2006 kit. I keep the CL2 levels up above 10ppm as previously stated for about 8-10 days.
Again this is a natural rock pool with some inlets and crevices that I guess provide some dead spots and there still is some light algae in these areas.
Today's readings;
Free chlorine = .2PPM
Combined Chlorine = less than .2 (when I add the R-0003 the sample barely turns from clear to a faint pink, one drop of R-0871 clears the faint pink color)
PH = 7.6
TA = 110
CH = 350
Cyanuric = 40-50

Overall the pool is much better. Guess what I'm wondering is should I go back into full shock mode since I do have some slight mold in the crevices. These areas may not get good circulation? Can I or should I just elevate the CL2 current levels and keep on scrubbing?
Thoughts, questions, recommendations? Thank you all. Happy Memorial Day and remember what Memorial Day represents.
Keep it at shock til it's clear. and never let FC drop that low again.

Back to Pool school with you! :whip: Reread the shock process and FC/CYA levels

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You were using the 25 ml sample when testing for chlorine, correct? Instead of using that, you can use 10 ml of pool water and multiply the number of drops by .5 ppm. It will save reagent, and .5 ppm is accurate enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.