Pleasanton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Someone in another thread had asked about how I built my own solar cover roller. So here it is.

Initially, I had purchased a SolarRoller and it worked pretty well for about three years after which the aluminum pipe corroded through. So I looked at several alternatives and came up with the following:

The design is based on a 1 1/2" ABS DWV pipe which because it is foam core floats unlike PVC or the original aluminum which tended to make the center of the cover sink. I used 10' pipe with a coupler but it would be better to use a continuous piece of pipe if you can find it that long.

To attach the cover to the pipe I used a faster with a 2" long 1/4 piece of the pipe in a clamp configuration (see pictures). I used the fasteners that came with the original solar roller but you could also use automotive panel fasteners with a hole drilled through the clamp and the pipe.

To roll up the cover, I reach under the cover for the pipe and just twist the pipe and the cover rolls up on itself. To unroll, I partially unroll the cover on the deck before pushing it all the way in and then simply unroll or pull on the ends of the cover to unwrap it.

Here are the pictures of the parts

Cover clamp and fastner
Clip.JPG

Cover Rolled Up
Cover%20Off.jpg

Cover Unrolled
Cover%20On.jpg

Pipe Close Up
Roller.jpg

Yakiman said:
Thanks again Mark. I have ordered all the parts, I'll let you know how it turns out! You have a very pretty pool and deck, BTW. I love the brick coping.

Hi Yakiman, just wondering how it went with making the reel. I'm deciding whether I should make my own or just buy the original. If I make my own, where would I buy the clamps? Mas used the original clamps from the solar roller split reel.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jonnybonz said:
Mas. I don't see the pics. I had to right click and show picture. Also, your lowes link doesn't work. I am using safari....
Do you have another browser you could try? It might be the default for Safari to treat these images that way.

Regarding the Lowes link, did you click on it or copy and paste? Only a click will work.

[EDIT] I just tried both on Safari and seemed to work ok.

I just tried Firefox too and can see the images fine. I am thinking this is a setting issue. Check one of the settings in Firefox:

Options: Content: Load images automatically (should be checked)

Otherwise, it might be a firewall issue.

Quick question. Do you have a google account and are you logged in? I just found out that people with google accounts that are not logged into google may have issues viewing these images. If this is the case, log into google and see if the images appear.

Ya gotta love Google. Do me a favor and log out of Google and then try to view the pictures again. I changed the permission on the photos and I want to see if that works.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.