Hello from MoTown

Fiberpool

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2013
Michigan
Pools are ALMOST worse than boats for the $$$$ to enjoy, actually boats cost more, to be honest. I have a 12,500 gal Vikinig Rockport pool, see http://www.flickr.com/photos/vikingpool ... 67/detail/ for some pics. Major problems I've tried to deal with are: tan staining on the white fiberglass - every 2 weeks (to correct causes major water imbalance using Absorbic Acid ... aka Vitamin C.), high CYA using Tri-chlor and Di-Chlor to re-balance. The summer of 2011 it started getting bad, 2012 it got worse, and now in 2013 on opening it was a "pretty shade of green", bad part is.. I closed using a 25,000 gal pool shutdown chemicals list of Shock, Chlorine, Metal Free, Algaecide hoping it would be crystal clear. Seems I have that horrible WWM, White Water Mold, in there now. Grief! I run the pump/filter at least 12 hrs per day during the season and generally 24/7 2 weeks before closing. I'm at a loss and hope bigger pool minds might give me a hint as to what I'm doing wrong.

Welcome!

We're here to help, with a little time and effort on your part the pool won't be near as expensive as it has been and it'll look great! And it'll be fairly easy to maintain that way.

Thanks all! Went to the link and will follow the guidelines. The CYA has always been a problem in the pool running well above 150. I've drained, refilled and it is good at 50 for about a week, then as the Tri-chlor is used from my Pentair Rainbow 320 In-Line Chlorine/Bromine Feeder it creeps back up again.

I'm going to try the BBB way and skip all those poolstore chemicals. Heck, they failed and have cost me big $$$$ so far.

Again, thanks! I'll keep you posted as to the results.

Welcome to TFP :wave:
Fiberpool said:
Pools are ALMOST worse than boats for the $$$$ to enjoy...
For those who are "pool stored" this can be true, but it doesn't have to be that way. Once you get the pool cleaned up and follow the ongoing maintenance that we teach, you will be surprised at how much the cost of maintaining a pool will come down. You will avoid many of the problems that drive costs up and extend the life of your pool surface and equipment.