Heater install under a deck

nthole

Jul 9, 2012
We would like put a heater on our pool and the best place for it is next to the pump/filter which is underneath a one story deck. The pool company believes it's fine as the heater requires a 3 foot clearance and there will be 5 or 6 feet above it. The plumber putting in the gas line was concerned about heat rising and it's impact on the decking and potential fumes. I've yet to hear back from the deck folks, but the product is called Veka-Dek and is supposed to be very heat resistant. I measured a similar unit my neighbor has running and the heat was down to about 100f 2 feet above the unit.

The pool company is proposing to install a Raypak/Rheem P-R266A, and doing some research on it I found that there is a power vent available specifically for the unit and what sounds like specifically for this purpose.

http://www.raypak.com/product.aspx?id=1 ... ef7e26a410

Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing. Do I need it? If so is it something I can install myself after the heater is in?

Thanks much!

If I'm not mistaken, the power vents are intended to be used in an indoor applications where the unit is out of the weather. Like in a enclosed equipment room. Sounds like you have a regular deck which the equipment will be sitting under.

OK... I would get an installer to put it in for you. If you have 5-6 feet from the top of the heater to the underneath of the deck flooring, this power vent could be overkill. Are there any doors or windows above where the heater will sit?

No doors or windows above the heater. And no table seating or anything. In fact there's a big planter right above it. I'm thinking it's overkill too, but the plumbing guy is the one that seems to think it's needed. The pool guys don't. I've asked them to give me an estimate that includes the installation as well. I'm thinking let them install the unit onto the heater if we go with it and I can run the ducting pretty easily, which is probably something they don't want to do or wont do anyway. It's a pretty simple up, elbow and about a 20 ft run. I'll need to put a condensation drop in it too.

You can get a power vent for around 450-500 dollars. weigh that cost against ANYTHING that could happen. Don't forget, we are not just concerned with heat from the vent, what about carbon monoxide? If there is no breeze, CO can be a killer even outdoors in the right conditions. Don't let anyone talk you out of it with terms like "it probably wont" or "slim chance". If you provide for the environment, it CAN happen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.