which 2 speed motor to replace 1 speed C48K2PA105

Apr 22, 2013
I have a Sta Rite MPRA6E-147L (which is now obsolete: exact replacement a/c to Sta Rite website is MPRA6E-205L).

My pump has a an AO Smith motor: #C48K2PA105 .

I was wondering:
1. What 230V 2 speed motor would be compatible
2. Can this be a DIY thing? I am an engineer but of a more theoretical bent.
3. Is it worth doing this? The pump might be 10 years old. The 2 speed replacement Pentair pump is about $400

thank you for your time.

Hello,

If its 230V:
UQS1102R or
SQS1102R
with those you'll need a hi/lo switch or timer.

For the money I think this is a great deal:
the EZ 2 Speed it comes with timer.
https://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com/ ... 129176.htm

I think your motor mount uses a rubber spacer, you can use a 46 or 56 motor.

It is a DIY thing. You'll also need a new pump seal, they cost about $10 or so. Some local places will mount it for you for a small fee. Bring in your pump housing

Heres some info from the 3/4 version: great-find-2ez-speed-75hp-square-flange-2-speed-300-t42909.html?hilit=ez2%20speed

bobo beat me, here are my thoughts:

nealyak said:
1. What 230V 2 speed motor would be compatible
A.O. Smith UQS1102R (though the approach bobo suggested will work as well)

nealyak said:
2. Can this be a DIY thing? I am an engineer but of a more theoretical bent.
Many people have done it on here. You will want a to replace the shaft seal and the gaskets at the same time.

nealyak said:
3. Is it worth doing this? The pump might be 10 years old. The 2 speed replacement Pentair pump is about $400
If you current motor is on it's last legs? If yes then I would say replace it. If it is working fine, I would probably keep using it until it goes.

I am seeing the 2-speed for about ~$260 from places such as: http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00200017003528.htm#parts

Thanks for the insight bobo and linen.

I have to think about this a little more. It looks like the cost benefit is not really there... say $350 total for this motor and parts - compared to $410 for a new superflo dual speed

In my case, I anyway have to replace the pipes to and from the pump since they are leaking. So I might just go for the new pump.

I agree that the hp 2-speed superflo (340042 SF-N2-1A) should work for you and save a small amount of electricity as compared to the 2-speed replacement for your current pump. I would say it is more like $300 for replacement motor and parts...but still not a big difference.

Your logic makes sense to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.