Total rebuild or component by component?

ouachita

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 9, 2009
We have a hot tub that we bought about 9 years ago. It is a sunbelt with gecko components. We let it sit empty last year and I was dead set on giving it away but alas the wife wants to keep it. When I last drained it it wasn't heating. I filled it a few days ago and turned on the breaker and it tripped almost immediately. I tried this twice. I assume it is the heating element as the studs coming out of the top are extremely corroded. The control board is clean with no signs of anything burning up.

Now for my question. If it were you with a 9 year old spa would you buy just the individual components needed to get it running or a whole new pack (circuit board, heater and controls)? It looks like I could get a new pack for about $500. Or I could get a $30 element and start tracing/replacing from there.

What would you do and if you went with a new pack what brand would you look at?

Well. The pump is definitely tripping the main breaker almost instantly. I disconnected the blower and pump. The display reads temp and has a code flashing. I guess I'll check the pump next

I did component by component. I found a local hot tub guy that knows his stuff and was reasonable. I've replaced the control board, heater tube and pump...over past two years, but now were good for anothe 5-7 we think. I'd do it all at once if you can afford it and like the tub.

Mine was nearly a total rebuild. New ozonator, cover, circuit board and control panel, a generator and reinforced base. It probably cost the price of a new one but the cost of an entirely new deck would have also been pretty darn high, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.