Pentair UltraTemp Heat Pump RPM needed to heat pool?

May 8, 2013
Southern IL
Hello. As I've said before I'm new to being a pool owner, I've read through the manual and didn't see any recommendations for this question. How many RPM's should I have my Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump set to to efficiently allow my Pentair UltraTemp Heat Pump heat the pool 32K gal pool? I thought the pool builder told me like 1300RPM, but I had it at that and it turned off because Low Flow, so I bumped it to 1400RPM, and 1500RPM and same thing. The pool is still being cleaned out from all the concrete mess that got in there and junk from before automatic pool cover was installed. I understand that maybe with all that junk being filtered through that maybe it's not getting all the flow that it might when clean. So, I don't know if once the pool is cleaned and chemicals added that the heat will work at a lower 1300RPM or what I should set it for?

Thanks for any input.

You will probably need to hit 40 GPM which may be closer to 2000 RPM. I would just keep increasing by 100 RPM until there is no low flow error.

10-4. I figured with all the junk in there, I'd just bump it up strong until it's cleaned out. Plus, I'm at work today so can't check it every little bit and I'd like to it to start warming up :). Tomorrow, I'll go back to the 100RPM increments. I have no idea how long it typically takes a pool to warm up. The temperatures are slowly raising and staying steady here in Southern, IL

ANdyc83, I'd appreciate hearing if you are happy with the Pentair heat pump. I have about the same size pool and was considering going with a larger unit from another manufacturer... but I hate to lose the serial interface with IntelliTouch. Does the 120K BTU get your pool up to temp OK?

jtech1: So far I love it. We have had a drastic change in weather. Currently 55 in Southern, IL. It was probably colder temps over night. I checked this morning and had the heat pump set to 85 (plan to have it around 90 but new the colder weather was coming and we wouldn't be in it, so why waste the energy), the current temp was 83 and the pump was running. So, it was close to keeping up but I'm sure with the colder temperatures in the 40's overnight it just couldn't quite keep up, but when summer starts really kicking in I don't think it'll have a problem. I should also note I have an auto cover so it was covered overnight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.